18 September 2008

Angela-la-la-la-la's Talk

Last night I headed into town to hear Angela Stokes, of www.rawreform.com, talk about her experiences on raw food for the past 6 1/2 yrs. I had planned on leaving my children with a friend, when at the last minute, she decided to come with me, so her husband (to whom I'm very grateful) took on the childcare responsibilities for the evening. It was wonderful for her & I to get out together as we haven't had the opportunity in far too long.

Angela's talk last night was fantastic. She is well-spoken and appeared at ease in front of the larger (~50) crowd. She shared her story, her journey to raw foods, shared her top tips for staying raw, and talked about the emotional journey that can accompany a diet of raw foods. I think for me I was really glad to hear her experiences with travelling and raw food (especially with our upcoming holiday and knowing how I struggled to stay committed to raw foods on the road trip in the summer - lack of planning there) and also the social issues surrounding raw food - how do you have a social life on raw foods (check it out on you tube; she's a very good singer!). All in all, a really inspiring evening.

I remember before going raw, I had already been vegan for 2 yrs. I had taken the occasional day in there to go raw, so I knew, while contemplating going raw (and I was very much inspired reading Angela's site & blog), that I could manage for a day. But more than a day? an entire week? well, I wasn't sure if I could make it that long. In retrospect, knowing I could go an entire day on raw foods has saved me. Every moment, I am reminded that yes, I can make it through just one day, just one meal. And what is life but not a series of days or of moments? That's all there is to it - just one meal, one moment, one day at a time. Next thing you know, I've been raw for nearly 5 months and counting....

Thank-you Angela for your inspiration and for being a role-model. So nice to meet you! :)

2 comments:

Bronwyn said...

Nicole --

I thank you for your comment on my blog --

A perceptive question about my GP experience influencing me perhaps? -- but I say no...I am so committed to raw food...that experience was upsetting, but in my tolerant approach, will return to him again in belief that he is a human being speaking his truth. Our truths are different, but....=tolerance needed on my part.
I'm thrilled that Angela's talk was inspiring to you and to your friend -- as you may have noticed, my neighbour who I brought with me, was also very inspired. It was a successful night for those two reasons alone! 100% success! I was already a convert...
I would be curious to do a poll of the crowd a month down the road and see what influence she had on them!
What I am thrilled about is all the conversation this has stimulated - let's get people talking!
Thanks, Bronwyn

~n~ said...

so true, aleesha, so true. and now this...