21 February 2011

natural body care

Just wanted to share what I've found to be good, natural alternatives to chemically-laden commercial body-care products. I started looking for alternatives when I came across the idea (not mine, so I won't take credit where it's not due, lol) that you shouldn't put things *on* your body that you wouldn't put *in* your body.

Shampoo: use baking soda. I use about a tbsp or maybe two. Mix it into a paste in my hand, continue as usual. (dd was helping me fill the various b soda glass jars today and while my back was turned, stuck a wet finger in to taste it. She says it tastes horrible. LOL)

Conditioner: apple cider vinegar, usually with 3-5 drops of essential oil (one of: lemon, orange, lavender, tea tree). again, i use about 1 tbsp and put it in a glass jar. when i'm ready to use it, i fill the jar up with water and pour over my hair. i find it works well on my hair (which is not coloured, btw), but on my daughter's hair, which is VERY long and quite CURLY, it doesn't do the trick. for her, i haven't found a good alternative to commercial conditioner, and furthermore, while it's in her hair, *that's* when i brush her hair. seems to work much better than brushing *after* the bath.

Soap: i have a wonderful, organic coconut soap that's available through rawfoodsooke. love it.

Deoderant: i don't usually wear any, to be honest. i have an organic, natural brand that is lemongrass scented that i do wear sometimes. and i also have a popular/commercial brand that is baby-powder scented that i wear only when i'm going out for a formal evening... to its credit, it does work. But it has things in it that i'd rather not put on my body on a regular basis. i have tried just rubbing b soda on and yes, it does work, but that's an every-day kind of thing, imo, not a going-out for a formal evening out option. thankfully, formal evenings out are rare around here. ;)

Toothpaste: At the moment, I'm using a mint toothpaste that is a natural, but popular, brand (like the natural deoderant). Sometimes I just use baking soda. Some people I know use a neem toothpaste and swear by it. Others use tooth 'shreds'; I haven't seen them available in Canada but would be curious to try things other than what I'm currently using.

Moisturizer: A few years ago I really liked Aveda's sensitive skin moisturizer. Most of the time now, though, if I use any at all, I'll use cert org extra virgin coconut oil. Or a little EVOO. And on my lips, at the moment I'm really enjoying a Burt's Bees lip balm.

That's about it. I hardly ever wear make-up; maybe a dozen times each year, if that. (so yes, i do have some, but even then, it's a pretty simple routine: foundation, powder, lipstick, and *sometimes* mascara, which I find irritates my eyes terribly). Usually I only wear make-up because my face (cheeks) have moments where they flare up from what i've been told is roseacea. I actually have little burst blood vessels in my cheeks that never go away. Someone suggested laser treatments could reduce or eliminate them, but i'm not keen on that at this moment. So when we're headed for a formal evening out, I choose make-up over having to go through the evening explaining my skin.

I'm really a pretty low-maintenance person. I buy baking soda in bulk through the food co-op, as well as apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and olive oil, and soap. Funny when I think about it, though, because when I was 18ish I was soooooo high maintenance with my fake nails and highlighted hair and daily make-up and on and on. yeesh. good riddance!!! (i should try & find a picture somewhere... or, maybe not.)

No comments: