03 February 2011

callllllllm

So the Universe threw a curveball at me today: we were on our way to piano lessons when I suddenly had the first flat tire... ever. I realized tonight I've been driving two DECADES now and I've never EVER had a flat (at least, not that I can remember, LOL). To boot, we were waaaaaay down a single-lane, badly paved country road with no cell reception... which just happens to be about 400m from the piano teacher's house. (thank-you, Loving Universe!) So I walked the children to their lesson, used her phone to call a tow truck (um, ya, I kinda remember Dad teaching me how to change a tire... 20 years ago. But having no experience in these matters since, I figured that's what the insurance is for. So suck up the pride and call, right?!)... They were there within 20 mins and had it changed in less than 5. Now see? It would've taken me at LEAST that long to take the tire off, let alone put the spare on, not to mention it was raining, too. LOL (thank-you, wonderful tow truck drivers!) The funny thing is, I wasn't stressed about it. It was this fun (and funny) adventure. The tire was fixed before the kids were finished piano, so it didn't put me out timing-wise (Thursdays are tight with timings, too). I zipped them over to the rec ctr so one could skate while the other swims (I am a multi-tasker extraordinaire!), and I then zipped (yes, zipped) over to the tire shop to have them repair it...

So the young feller there brings the tire in and says, well, this is the hole. (It's a 4" gash on the sidewall - OOPS) And this is what caused it (piece of... well, not bark mulch, but kinda looked like it... about 6" long, 4" wide and an inch thick? it was fairly large. and was clearly not a nail). So the tire is unrepairable. And being AWD, guess what? You can't just replace ONE tire, oh noooooo... no, you have to replace all FOUR. I'm sorry... did you just say all FOUR for one flat?! So that will cost in the neighbourhood of... *gasp*

*breathes deep. waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy deep*

and laughs.

So I go back, pick the kids up, grab them each a veggie sub & a water and we're off to tai chi class for a couple hours (which was awesome, btw). I'm still on my spare, but in the end, well, maybe the tire store can find a used single tire tomorrow instead of having to replace all four. Maybe the tires are still under the vehicle's warranty. Maybe there's just no sense worrying about that which i have no control over. Sometimes it's just better to laugh.

dd reminded me that it was like my dream two nights ago. I was coming out of a mall, across the parking lot, and there were cars all around me up on blocks with their tires missing. I look across and my car, too (same freakin' tire, if you can believe it) is off the vehicle and it's up on a jack and the back door is up/open... I wouldn't have made the connection but that's exactly today: the driver rear tire off the vehicle, the back door was open, two men (two truck drivers) - who thankfully, unlike in my dream, did not beat me over the head with a crowbar and steal my stereo and change and run away. LMAO see why i don't share my dreams?!? LOL

All I know is whoever's behind it all... (the universe, I mean) - God or whatever you want to call "It"... has a GREAT sense of humour.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hear from tire people that if you have different TREAD than the others (like you get a different tire, you cant find that specific tire to match the others) then they wear funny and can cause issues. Holymother....