05 February 2011

Food Security

I went out to the Victoria Film Festival tonight, to the world premiere of Nick Versteeg from DV Cuisine's newest film, Food Security: Simple and Safe, It's in Your Hands. It was a sold out show, and we saw people outside the theatre who had shown up on the off-chance tickets would still be available. So people really wanted to see this film!

I have previously seen another of Nick's films, Island on the Edge. Also about food security, it detailed the precarious position that Vancouver Island (and the Gulf Islands) are in when it comes to supplying local inhabitants with local food. I've heard the sobering statistic many many times that our island, as big as it is, only has a 3-day supply of food, should anything (natural disaster) disconnect us from transporting in food. Three days.

I'd really enjoyed seeing Island on the Edge, and the Q&A following with Nick. It was shown as an Awareness Night film, a local monthly movie night of movies that are of importance to local community.

It was with excitement that I headed out to see Food Security tonight, and it did not disappoint. It was inspiring, with its stories from new, young, local, organic farmers. It was informative. It was beautiful, capturing the seasons at Versteeg's own farm, The Laughing Geese. And it generated discussion. The ride home with my friend was wonderful as we each shared dreams and plans for our properties... and broke things down into bite-size steps we can implement immediately. (I'm going to pull broom, and plant cover crops!!!)

I wish Nick and his latest film success. Food security is a topic he (and I) are obviously passionate about. Why would I want to grow my own food? Because I want to take responsibility for that; I don't want to put that responsibility entirely in someone else's hands.

Good luck, Nick!

No comments: