07 February 2011

Broom Puller

I confess: For two days now I've been yanking Scotch Broom out of the yard, and yes, I plan on burning it. Not just composting it, but actually bonfiring it all. (there's lots!) I realize I may have gone a little nuts pulling the broom out - both yesterday and today my knees ache from using the broom puller tool. Pulling broom is no easy task. Well, it is if you get them out when they're small, but seriously, some of these plants were over 6 feet (2m) tall! I realized today there's just been so many excuses over the past 13 years... having babies to care for, and then there's the whole 'it's-just-too-hard' excuse. Ahh, but it feels sooooo good to get these invasive plants out of the ground. I still have another patch to go (well, at least one), probably another good day's work (if it's sunny, that is, LOL - me, the fairweather yard worker)... and then it's onto the field where the broom are also out of control.

Umm, soooo... does anyone know how to get rid of salal?!?

No comments: