10 July 2009

the cogs in the wheel of life are turning. things are happening.

Greetings! We have news around here!

First, kids had dentist appts today. One has 1 small cavity, the other has (ahem) 12 cavities... all between teeth. can you say "needs to floss more often?". er, yes, quite (i was reminded that i am responsible for superivision of daily flossing. yes, thanks. i've been errant on that). They enjoyed the appt though- new toothbrush, stickers, floss...

Secondly, our car went in for servicing today. Why do I mention this? Well, at the dealership, the sales mgr had her dog there (a black lab) who has recently had a litter of puppies - chocolate labs. She had 3 of the puppies (they're 8 wks old now) in with the mama today when we brought our car in... and you can just GUESS how completely GA-GA my kids went over these puppies!!! for those who don't know, we have had two labs in our life in the last decade - our black lab passed away of an enlarged heart (unnoticed birth defect) when she was 4 yrs old, and our chocolate lab passed away of cancer last fall... Since when, we have been saying, oh, yeah, we should get another dog.... but no, I wasn't actively searching for a new dog. But when I saw these puppies, my heart strings twanged. AND there's only one left for sale. So I'm hoping (*cross my fingers*) that it will all work out. We'll see. (And, dear sister, before you mention what a menagerie of animals I already have... i'll point out it takes more than a few cats and a dozen chickens to make a menagerie.... at least, i think it does).

Then we went and dropped off a meal at a friend's house, who's just had her fourth babe. Nothing like holding a week old baby to get that biological clock ticking LOUDLY in one's ear. good GRIEF. my daughter was so SMITTEN with this little babe - improvising & singing her lullabies and gently stroking her mop of dark hair. SOOOOO sweet. and my GOSH didn't my 5 yr old look so BIG and grown-up next to a wee one!!! yes, it was a lovely LOVELY visit.

And tonight I finally got my act together and posted on our local homeschooling networks about a cob mixing workshop party here to get the cob oven built. I'm hoping to garner enough interest from people I've met - I'll post info on the local bulletin boards at our community mailboxes and phone people who've said they'd come help when it came time to mix... hopefully I can get a dozen people to come each day and we'll have the oven functional before the August long weekend. (that's the plan, anyways).

Today I enjoyed:
  • a banana and a cup of sesame milk-chia pudding for breakfast
  • just over 2L of water throughout the day
  • 2.3L of green smoothie for lunch (0.3L @ 10:00, 1L ~11:00 & the other ~1:00). In the smoothie I put: one bunch of beet greens, 2 tsp of Enerex greens powder, 1/4 tsp camu camu berry powder, 2 squeezes of raw amber agave nectar, 4 bananas, about 2c of frozen strawberries, water... I think that was it.
  • for a snack: 3 raw chocolates (I have no more in the house (thankfully); I took some over to my friend's)
  • for dinner - a green salad with green leaf lettuce, a little green pepper, a tomato, some purple/red cabbage, about 1/2c of fresh raspberries, and some (non-raw, but organic) salad dressing. colourful and delicious.
  • and, er, two chocolate chip cookies this evening. no, not raw. They contained white flour (albeit organic) and some white sugar. And yes, I felt like crap afterwards (no, not GUILTY, but just plain crappy after consuming refined sugar and flour, etc.). This is why, unlike how I grew up (where there were ALWAYS cookies in the lemon-shaped cookie jar on the counter), I RARELY make cookies to have in the house. I'm just not at a point yet in my relationship with food where I can feel confident in my ability to make healthy choices as often as I'd like to (yes, admittedly, that means "all the time"). I can still hear the cookies taunting me from their kitchen hideout, crying out "resistance is futile!" in their little cookie voices. I hear you, you darn cookies! Leave me ALONE already!!!!!! I don't want to eat you. Go away. Just go AWAY! (Could someone else just eat them and get them OUT OF THE HOUSE ALREADY?!?!) do you SEE what i have to deal with?! and darn it, I always do so WELL all day controlling those old food habits, but come darkness, what the heck happens to Will Power?! Where does HE go?!?! Certainly isn't supportin' me none, come darkness. No sirreeeeeee.
oh dear, (lmao) I've resorted to having imaginary conversations with food on my blog. wth has the world come to?!?!?

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

ROFL. Funny- I was just talking to my food this morning also LOL! My tomatoes froze in the fridge so I put the "poor things" into a tomato sauce lol I told them they still had other useful qualities =)

HA! My word verification BORST
Yes I could have tossed them into BORSCHT also.