I've started some wheatgrass and some alfalfa sprouts this week. It's so easy growing sprouts; I don't know why I don't do it more often (other than the twice-daily rinsing; that can be a bit of an inconvenience sometimes). And I'm planning on repotting the aloe vera and getting some cut-and-come-again lettuce going as well. The recent glorious sunshine is reminding me spring is just around the corner. :)
I'm finding it easiest to stick to a routine as far as food goes - or at least having a plan for how much I'm going to eat each day - makes it far less likely I'll overeat or fall off the raw food wagon. LOL So I've been starting my day with a piece of citrus fruit and having a bowl of muesli and almond mylk/milk/LOL ;) Drinking more water than I had been, which helps tremendously - yesterday I had almost 3L and by 10:30 this morning I'd already had 2L. Having 2L of smoothie for lunch the past couple days (1L at a time): begin by blending your greens (for example today I put 1/2 head of green leaf lettuce (8 large leaves) in the blender and blended it down; it made about 3/4L of liquid), add fruit (1.5 bananas, 1.5c each frozen blueberries & raspberries), added in maca powder, camu camu berry, goji berry powder, cacao nibs, powder and butter and enough water to make 2L of smoothie. The VitaMix really blends it smooth. I like the smoothie as lunch b/c it's portable and really alleviates hunger for HOURS. If I had some, I'd add a couple tbsps of hemp seeds as well. High in protein. So smoothie around lunchtime and then something lighter for dinner; last night I made myself veggie 'california rolls' - nori, miso, alfalfa sprouts, avocado, carrot, sweet pepper, cucumber with some nama shoyu and pickled ginger. Soooo yummy. My kids even liked it (alright, they like most of what I eat. LOL)
I picked up some more spirulina powder today as I'm right out of E3Live, Chlorella & Spirulina. I have grown to really LOVE blue-green algae and really miss it when I don't have it near-daily. E3Live is probably my favourite; when I was on the juice-feast I swear it was the reason my hair was regaining its natural colour!! LOL Anyways, try it... seriously.
We've been thinking of getting chickens - 'we' being the kids & I, LOL. Looking at heritage breeds: Marans, Orpingtons, Rhode Island Reds and Sussex (maybe 3 of each?). I'm hesitant because I don't want to have to deal with the inevitability of them dying. We had chickens when I was growing up. I actually didn't mind collecting eggs, or feeding them and checking their water each day. Hanging out with them. That part was fine. It was the part when my dad decided 'it was time' and *I* (why me, anyways) had to be the one holding them as he 'did the deed'. I think I was all of about 10 or 12 at the time. Sorry if that's tmi (I edited out the gory details!), but you can understand my hesitation at getting some of our own. It's sort of the same with getting another dog. Soooo hard to let ourselves get attached to and love our pets/animals and then dealing with the inevitability of their passing on. Ahhh well.
Off to the library now and then on to Aikido class for ds. Have a great evening and I'll try and get our computer fixed soon so I can blog more often. I am grateful for your patience. :)
2 comments:
Thank you for all the little info...especially the raw cali rolls...both my kids and myself LOVE cali rolls..and now we can try that out too! This Raw Diet thing isn't so bad...I can't believe how great I feel...!yey
Chickens...hmm...might be fun..but I wouldn't like to do it..especially the "it's time" part...sigh.
I've always wanted a few chickens. I want to be able to have my own fresh eggs in the morning, and I'm so reluctant to buy any eggs from supermarkets - no matter how "fresh" or "cruelty free" they market them to be... Keep us posted on the chicken endeavor. And who says you have to kill them? Don't get too many and just keep them as pets. When the kids or your hubby want chicken, then go buy some. It may turn them off to eating chicken since they know they have some out in the yard. -lol-
Post a Comment