17 December 2008

ups and downs

Yesterday was an odd day. A bunch of emotions floating through the sky of my life... First while we were driving, not 5 minutes from our house, I hit a little winter bird and killed it. I stopped and went back to it and was shaken that a life had been lost at my hands. It was just a day of different emotions - some good moments, some challenging... I found parenting a little challenging as we were finishing up our Christmas shopping; the little people simply did NOT want to go at a speed I wanted to go at - a little battle of the wills as they wanted to stomp in every patch of snow downtown they could find, and I just wanted to get out of the COLD and get the errands DONE... LOL I exercised a lot of patience and restraint!!! We had a really nice stop at Cafe Bliss yesterday and although I was a little disappointed the book I'd asked to be put aside had been sold accidentally, the food made up for it. I enjoyed a raw pizza and salad and the kids had a kids' plate with fruits and veggies and nuts and we loved the mint hot chocolates (raw) and a little smoothie one of the kids had. The food was such a welcome break to the errands of the day. Nonetheless we have now completed our holiday shopping and only have wrapping and delivering now, and some holiday baking to make as gifts as well. Oh, and the other disappointing news of yesterday was that although I was shortlisted for the marriage commissioner job and went for the interview and they called references, I was not one of the two successful applicants. Here I had a 50% chance, and I blew it. :( Bummer. It made me think (long and hard) about the many times in my life where when I've really wanted something to work out one way, it doesn't, and leaves me filled with disappointment and then typically I end up going down another path altogether or coming back to this path much later, from another angle. (how's that for cryptic) Anyways I was reminded of when I first came out of high school, applied to only one post-secondary institution, CERTAIN i would be accepted, and when faced with a rejection letter mid-summer, scrambled to make alternate plans for the fall, all the while dealing with the disappointment of putting just one egg in my basket, only to have it not hatch. You'd think I would've learned, but this pattern has happened a couple times in my life. Always good to have a Plan B, I guess. I wasn't looking for f/t work (not that this was), but what attracted me to this position were the flexible hours. Anyways, I think at this moment, with 4 volunteer positions and trying to fit in Reiki sessions and homeschooling, I am probably busy enough.

But still, generally a little disappointed about yesterday.
~n~

1 comment:

Haylee said...

I've just recently found your blog, but I'm going to continue to follow it. Sorry to hear that your day was not quite what you expected. :( It sounds like the kids had a good time, though, and that's important. I hope things work out with your job stuff as well. Jobs are tough - whether it's looking for one, or living with one, they can be pretty trying at times. Don't you wish we could all just make our own livings on family farms and whatnot? I do. Maybe I'm the only one, though. :)