18 December 2008

Snow Day!

School's out - too much snow!!! LOL You might wonder why a homeschooling family cares when school is cancelled because of the snow, but my ds's best friend who lives next door goes to school, so it was one of the first questions ds asked this morning, "Do you think school will be cancelled?" when he saw how much snow we had outside. Indeed it was, and the two boys have been happily playing together all morning. We only have about 2 or 3" at our place, but there are a number of large, curving (treacherous) hills between here and town that the school bus would have had to navigate, so in light of that, no school (and La Leche League meeting and Tai Chi class tonight have both been cancelled as well). It's not often school is cancelled because of the weather out here on the mild west coast; 2 yrs ago when we had a wicked hurricane-force storm pass through was the last time - there were so many trees across the road, power lines down, that it really was dangerous to drive for a few days. But today, we shall enjoy the sun shining on the beautiful, glorious snow outside, and just enjoy building a snow family and fort and playing in it!

I think I may have just had the MOST delicious smoothie ever invented!! 1 banana, 1c frozen local blueberries, 1 1/2 c frozen local strawberries, about 2/3 L of homemade almond mylk, and 1/4 c E3Live, and about 20 whole raw cacao beans blended. DEEEEEEEEElicious. (I've also had some scrumptious raw vegan brownies today from Jennifer Cornbleet's book (dates, walnuts, cacao powder, agave, cherries) - and also some yummy raw mint hot chocolate... that's raw chocolate 3x already today. )

I've been thinking more (and talking with people in my life) about the disappointment of not getting that job... just sorting through the emotions. I am at a place in my life where I do not NEED to work (I mean, I can always USE more money, but the reality is that I am managing just fine - *WE* are managing just fine - with me not working full-time... yes, of course there are sacrifices being made, certainly, but it is a balance that seems to be working very well for our family in this moment). I don't necessarily WANT to work either - not full-time anyways - I certainly don't want to be away from my children hours every day, or to put them in school or daycare so that I can work a 'regular' job. That is SO not what I am wanting for my life right now. But I am often daydreaming of creative ways lure more income into my life...

Things I would be interested in doing for money in 2009 (LMAO, this may NOT be the list you were hoping for, boys - laughing to herself, she thinks 'are there any men who read this blog anyways?! I thought the only two readers were Aleesha & Charlene!!') -
1. compost pick-up and consultation services
2. raw food and juice feasting coaching and maybe even 'cooking' classes; I wouldn't even object to doing raw food catering or opening a raw food restaurant or take-out place... all things that have passed through my mind.
3. cob building - I am quite confident this is something I would love doing. The guiding principles of mudgirls (www.mudgirls.ca) REALLY fit with what I'm seeking in terms of potential employment.
4. reiki practitioner - I need more experience & training...
5. I would like to investigate Aura Soma and possibly become a practitioner, but I feel the costs are beyond what I am able to arrange at this point in my life. But Colour therapy is definitely something I'm interested in...
6. somehow incorporating these and even more of my interests and especially my interest in lifelong learning into a position where i could share my passions with others (writing, speaking)? i don't even know what this might look like, but I'm going to put it out there in the world, on this blog, and see what comes of it.

I know one interest I have right now that is really pulling at my heartstrings is living in community. This has been growing within me for some time now... and I have had conversations with my loved ones about how important I feel having a strong sense of community around us is. I have toured intentional cohousing complexes and spoken with people who live in, and those who would like to live in, some sort of intentional community (Google places like Windsong in Langley, BC or O.U.R. ecovillage in Shawnigan Lake, BC for examples, or read the book Ecovillage at Ithaca for another wonderful example). I don't know why this interest pulls at me so, but it does. I imagine the children going outside on pedestrian streets between the earth-friendly homes, having playmates of various ages around to play with and other watchful, friendly, caring, guiding adults around to converse with... a village of homeschoolers and beyond... Certainly I enjoy this sense of community from our local homeschooling families when the children are at classes together and out and about together, and I sometimes wish I could be surrounded by their positive energy and support more often than I find myself. I *do* so appreciate and am filled with such immense gratitude for the other hl'ing mamas and our wonderful LC; I *so* value their support and encouragement.

Another interest that is growing in me is in regards to WATER. I am really feeling such a pull towards speaking out on water preservation, on the protection of this vital resource. Our community water system at present chlorinates our water, although I think they are moving towards a UV system in the near future. I have willfully been ignorant towards the effects of chlorine on us - the more I read/hear/learn, the more I think chlorination is not protecting the health of those it purports to. We now have a chlorine filter on our shower, but the rest of our house water is as-it-comes from the tap. I really want to get a Reverse Osmosis system for drinking water.

Ahhh I have SOOOOOO many interests, I could go on and on. Such is the life of an Aquarian and lifelong learner. LOL But right now, I am feeling a strong need to get the children back outside to enjoy the sunshine and snow, and I also want to make the time to exercise this afternoon. I rowed 10 kms yesterday as I'd missed the day before and it felt great to go 10 km again - a year ago I was rowing that far every day but recently I've been very consistent with 5 kms a day and that feels really manageable and sustainable and it is good to be exercising (and sweating) daily, even if only for 25 minutes.

Namaste,
~n~

No comments: