Well, okay, so it's not -42 with windchill like it is in Winterpeg, but -18 on the West Coast is nothing to act smug about. I cannot begin to tell you how dreadfully COLD it is. The WIND, my friend, the WIND is soooooooo strong and unrelenting and well, cold. If it weren't for the wind, it would be quite bearable, maybe -2 or -3; still cold, but bearable. But this North Wind is just insanely cold. I realize we're not an isolated pocket here on the West Coast - apparently most of Canada is in a deep freeze. Global climate chaos, anyone?! I've NEVER experienced anything quite this cold here. Never in my multiple decades of life. LOL
Well, enough of that sob story, eh. The power was out for, oh, 6 hrs today. After the first hour the inside temperature of the house had dropped (because of that wind) from 20C to 10C, at which point I got the woodstove going. Made the kids soup and then pasta for dinner on it, and we warmed ourselves in front of it while playing boardgames and singing carols.
Today I am REALLY truly grateful for the employees of the local electricity utility that work crazy hours and go out in all kinds of crazy weather so that people like me can enjoy warmth and comfort from inside our homes while the crazy weather whirls around us.
I am grateful for enough cut, dried firewood and for the trees which gave their lives to heat my home. (I am reminded that 2 yrs ago when we were without power for 3 days we had none.)
I am grateful for having lots of candles (PartyLite ones).
I am grateful dh returns home in just 6 more sleeps (weather co-operating).
I am grateful for being able to postpone the community christmas party until next weekend, when dh will be home and able to come. And I am grateful for the wonderful community support I receive.
I am grateful for hot water.
I am grateful for clean dishes and clean, warm, dry clothes.
I am grateful that the two friends who came over yesterday allowed me to share my Reiki skills with them, that they would let me into their space. I am deeply honoured.
I am grateful for the winter wind, which makes me even more grateful to be inside a warm, cozy bed, in a warm, cozy home.
I am so very grateful for my children who love to snuggle and who I enjoyed playing boardgames with today, and watching them decorate gingerbread people, and I just feel so honoured to be a part of their lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment