Having nightmares about pulling out salmonberries and scotch broom! LOL jk but i have certainly pulled my fair share of them out the past couple weeks. Our creek out back gets so overgrown with salmonberries that you can't even see the creek by mid-summer. I didn't cut it back last year at all. this is the time of year to do it, too - before they bud and leaves grow. So we've been back there a lot lately, cutting them back. oh, they'll grow back, don't worry. i'm more like "pruning" them severely. I'm actually thinking of throwing some wildflower seed mix down there to hopefully hamper the salmonberries from coming back so fully. We have plenty of salmonberries elsewhere. ;)
And the scotch broom, well, the field (future farm) has 1/3 covered with MASSIVE scotch broom bushes. i have one of those "pullerbear" scotch broom pullers that works SOOOOOOO well, but it's still time-consuming. it pulls the plants out, roots and all. I now have three big piles to burn and i still have an amazing amount left to pull out. I figure getting over there for one afternoon a week I'll have it cleared by the end of april or mid-may. Just in time to plow and plant a cover crop for summer, hopefully.
But like I said on my fb status, I'm an aquarian. we'll just see what i accomplish. LMAO
1 comment:
Funny I just went on FB last night after 3 months of not going there, and it will be another 3 months before I go back I'm sure.
Post a Comment