Yesterday I spent many blissful hours in the garden... I weeded the raised beds (happy chickens eating dandelions!) and moved about 50 raspberry canes from where they had decided to grow back into where I wanted them to grow. Hopefully they'll adjust well to their new home.
I didn't quite get around to getting any seeds planted; want to stir in some compost/sea soil and lime before I do that, but I've got some peas, lettuce, and radishes waiting to go in.
The kids planted a packet of watercress seeds out back by the creek and are hopeful they will grow back there.
The herb garden near the house still needs some TLC but I see that things are starting to grow already:
sorrel
chamomile
chives
marjoram
oregano
lemon balm
thyme
rosemary
bunching onions
and more...
Today I'm hoping to pull out more broom in the farm's field. It's overcast and still a little cold, but sunny. *LOVE* the sunshine!
It is amazing to me how therapeutic gardening is. My son often remarks when playing/working by the creek how much energy the water seems to give him, that hours can go by and he doesn't get as hungry or as tired. He says he is renewed and revitalized playing around the natural water course. I agree. I think that's what being in Nature does for us, even though we may not be as articulate (or aware) as my son about it.
I packed the kids a picnic lunch yesterday and sent them off on their bikes to the nearby campground. They were a little trepid going off like that, but went on their way with a little encouragement. They found an empty campsite and had lunch on the picnic table and came straight back afterwards. I'm hoping by summer they'll feel comfortable riding down to the beach and playing down there for a while. I think it's an important step in their growing independence to allow them time out of my sight, but still safe and in the community. Do I have fears with them going off alone? Well, of course, but I think it's important for them to have the opportunity to explore without me putting my fears on them. The reality is they are safe, they stick together, and they're only 400m from the house, for crying out loud! Maybe I've watched a little too much Bubble Wrap Kids, LOL, but I know when I was a kid I used to ride my bike unsupervised around our neighbourhood regularly. This neighbourhood is a safe place for them to ride and there are many other neighbours who would all look out for them. I think it's difficult parenting today, because I might be called neglectful or a bad mother for letting them out of my sight like that, but I think it's an important part of their growing up, to be allowed increasing independence as they are ready for it.
Namaste
1 comment:
When you think about it, we were shoved out the door pretty early. We rode our little bikes up to elementary school at what- grades 2-3+ unless the weather was really poor and we got a ride?? We had a really independant childhood. And to say that "things have changed" I think is pretty unfair... there were "predators" and "weirdos" out there when we were that age, and in generations before. Granted there may be less "safe houses" or Block Parent signs like there were (depending on where you live... I would argue in your area and mine I think the # of retirees and homestay parents is actually quite high) maybe could be less. I think whats changed is MEDIA. Certainly over our lifetime the connectivity to general media (which is lets face it FEAR INDUCING) is out of control. We have radio, tv, wireless, cell phone internet, facebook, myspace, twitter, good christ there are a million times more sources of PHOBIA than ever before.
So hell yes shove them out the door! =) They're intelligent. They're aware. They can manage.
Post a Comment