19 February 2012

the slow life

it has been a quiet weekend around here... yesterday dd had a friend over for the afternoon. it was overcast, but not rainy, so the kids played outside for a while and also inside. today dd went over to her friend's house, so ds & i took down the christmas tree (yes, it was a cut tree that we put up around dec 6th and you know what, it was still in good shape. i could've left it up another couple weeks probably, as it had very few needles falling off. i think this must be a record.) and i cleaned the house a little - under the microwave, the kitchen floors, vacuuming, dusting, laundry, dishes, etc. there's always too much housework to do, in my opinion. no one ever laments not keeping their house tidier when their children are growing up, but many lament not "having enough time" to spend with their kids, but their houses are spic-and-span clean. me, i'd rather have a little dust but contented children. that being said, ds and i played the board game Careers. i felt bad for him b/c he had to declare bankruptcy *twice* in the game, while i sailed through without any difficulties at all to take the win. lol i told him he should go on 'Til Debt Do Us Part and get some financial advice from Gail Vaz-Oxlade. We watch the show regularly and I have to say my kids have certainly picked up some good financial acumen from watching it. more than what i knew going out on my own as a young adult, anyways! it's taken many many years to finally learn some financial basics!

This week I'll be making two batches of homemade (dairy) ice cream for dd's upcoming bday party. I think we've opted for chocolate chip mint and skor-caramel. I haven't tried dairy ice creams yet; I always make non-dairy (raw vegan) ice creams instead. i'm sure the dairy ice creams will be a big hit.

Last night there was a horrific sound around 10:30 pm in the neighbour's yard. Keep in mind we live very rurally, but it was really quite scary. The dog didn't even go running towards it to chase whatever it was away. Tonight I youtube'd it and turns out it was a raccoon fight, which is much less frightening than the cougar I *thought* it might be. Let the raccoons fight it out amongst themselves!!

I suppose that's all. LOL, my dd is writing out a dinner menu for her wedding!!! Keep in mind her age is still a single digit, and you'll see why it's so funny! If you're lucky enough to be one of the "80 or so" people she's planning on inviting, you'll enjoy your choice of four appetizers (apple scorch tart, pitas, triangle sandwiches, and phyllo pastry with vegetables inside), two entrees (penne with cheese on top, or lighthearted fettuccine alfredo) and four desserts (including cheesecake, royal cupcakes, chocolate dipped fruit, and cotton candy dessert). Yes, she's keen on being a chef when she grows up. LOL

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

Oh! Am I on the list!? I hope so! =)
Oh I would love to help plan the cake then. I suggest we layer several different flavored cakes and have some sort of cream soda waterfall coming out from the top. BOOYAH!
How funny you heard a raccoon fight, I'd forgotten how they sound. In Chilliwack we heard them a lot. They scream so wickedly. Hmph! I forgot all about that!