13, maybe 14 years ago, I bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses. They were expensive (~$250) but well worth it. When ds was very small, I broke the arm off, so I took them back to the place where I bought them, and they sent them back to the company (they were still under warranty). The company repaired them (I swear they were new glasses entirely, but I can't be sure) and couriered them back to me. About a year and half ago I broke the arm off again... I took them back to the place I bought them and was told they were no longer making that model and I'd have to buy a new pair. Not having the money to buy a new pair just then, I bought a couple pairs of dollar store sunglasses to get me through the summer. As I was cleaning off the desk recently I found the old pair of Maui Jim'sand thought, what the heck, I'll mail them back and see what happens. So I looked up the company's contact info online and sent them back - total cost about $12. Today in the mail I received my sunglasses back, good as new - totally repaired ("new frame and new lenses" said the repair sheet), with a new hardcover case and cleaning cloth! I am ASTOUNDED at the customer service from Maui Jim. These things had a 2 yr warranty, not a 13+ year warranty. They weren't under any obligation to fix them this time, but they did!
I'm SOOOOOOOOO happy to have my Maui Jim's fixed! YAYYYYYYYYYY!!!
I'm reading a book called The New Frugality (can't recall the author off-hand) which is really great. One thing that resonated with me was the idea of buying quality items (not necessarily expensive, but high-QUALITY)... things like my Vitamix blender, which yes, cost several hundred dollars (for a blender! you're thinking) but it is sooooooo worth it. I know a family who has had theirs for over 3 DECADES with only minor repairs. My Maui Jim sunglasses are another "investment" in my mind. With customer service like this, who needs dollar store sunglasses. Buy Quality. Buy from a company that cares. Being frugal doesn't mean being cheap; no, frugality reflects an economy on the use of resources. One pair of Maui Jim sunglasses has replaced many many pairs of cheaper sunglasses throughout the years. *THAT* is what I mean by frugal.
1 comment:
Yno back in the day (I would suggest when mom and dad were growing up) things were actually made to last. Today, its all plastic disposable crap that manufacturers don't offer guarantees on, and they HOPE you buy again when it breaks down in a year or two. Just look at the dump next time you go. Personally, I would prefer to buy more used quality items that *continue* to last (like a good thick stock pot, or casserole pot, or the kind of coffee pot that percolates on the stove top) but yes, invest in (ie) a really great fridge and stove.
I've honestly never heard of Maui Jim sunglasses before(?) but that's pretty great service bar none.
Post a Comment