31 July 2011

a day off

Today was a no-car day around here. I know urbanites have those regularly, but out here, living rurally, it is more of a challenge to create those. Literally, it's been nearly an entire month since we've had a no-car day, and this is likely the only one for another 3+ weeks. Yes, you read that right. Literally, about one no-car day every 3-4 *weeks*. One in 20 days I do not get in the car.

I realize, in our peak oil and climate chaos times, how ridiculous this reads, and how, post-peak-oil, I will look back and realize how utterly unsustainable this lifestyle is.

Something has to change.

I spent a good deal thinking about it today, while reading Depletion and Abundance out on the deck in the beautiful sunshine, 'neath the cloudless blue sky, with the rustling of the alder leaves and the waves crashing ashore the background sounds... I realized how things will simply have to change.

Less structured classes for the children and myself.
Growing more of our own food.
A restructuring of how we use energy in our lives...

I have more thoughts floating around about it all, but for now, the children want to read E is for Environment, a kids' book where the illustrations have these huge heads on little bodies and my children think that's hilarious. Not to mention the increasing awareness of environmental issues. I guess that's just a pleasant aside. ;)

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

I'm with the kids. Hilarious illustrations are what suck me in =)