19 July 2011

Bear!

Yesterday was a busy day. I got lots of chores and stuff done and worked at the farm for 4 hrs. I had the afternoon to myself at home and weedeated the yard and watered all the gardens and plants...

Then at 9 p.m. the chickens, who had all been going into their coop nicely, all were fluttering around the pen. hmmmm... something was obviously nearby. So I go out the back door in my pjs and pair of sandals and take five steps towards their pen when I see what appears to be a very large black Shepherd dog IN their pen! EEKS! It took a complete, very slow second for me to realize that was no dog! That was a massive BEAR! OMG! I yelled "BEAR" very loudly (our neighbour was in her yard, heard me and promptly went to put her horse in for the night) and ran to get our "trumpet" (one of those things you take to football games to blow through and make noise?!). I blew it loudly twice at the bear (who was still in the pen) and it finally ran off into the acre of forest (between me & the neighbour with the horse).

At 7 a.m. this morning, the chickens, who were all locked snugly into their coop, had a commotion going. I ran to the upstairs window and realized the bear must be back so the dog and I ran out the back door and the dog ran after the bear. I went to the coop to inspect and it's ripped a hole in the side of the coop. Quick headcount and yes, one of our White Leghorns are gone.

I called the Conservation Office and spoke to a CO and he is going to bring a live bear trap out tomorrow probably. In the meantime, I have some repairs to do.

p.s. not that it's related at all, but it's interesting (and kinda funny) nonetheless: two nights ago I dreamt that there were tall trees on 236 st falling down, the ones between Glen Bahr's place & Colleen Kennedy's, on that side of the street, and people who had been picking blackberries under them came running out (it was a secret blackberry patch and I thought to myself, wow, now I don't need GPS coordinates, now I know where all the berries are!). It was bizarre. Anyways yesterday I was walking the neighbour's dog through the forest around here and was looking at the tall tall trees, and suddenly had a flashback to the dream with the huge trees snapping and falling. Bizarre. Oh, and the trees in my dream did NOT make any sound when they fell. ;)

Last night I dreamt that my legs were very hairy and I'd shaved my calves, but then looking down at them in my dream, I'd done a really patchy job at best. It was just funny. Don't read into that one. :P

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

So when a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?! And shaved legs LOL. That is awesome. I always relate leg shaving to logging operations because of the length I often let it get to =) Hope they catch the bear though holy smokes!