21 April 2011

Spring has Sprung...

I *think* this is spring. It's still so darned cold you wouldn't know it, but the sun is eeking out most days now. We literally had a dusting of snow last week - APRIL snow!!! *Not* the norm. But yes, the sun is out most days. The garden is still too wet and cold to get into and the more mediterranean herbs did not survive the winter (lavender, rosemary)... and my rosemary busy was quite large, too. Very disappointing.

DS had his birthday party on the weekend and it was great fun. The kids played on the trampoline, I think there was a game of capture-the-flag going on for a while, and a game of cops-and-robbers (until it ended when the one robber was mauled by a mob of cops... no comment). I know my son truly appreciated having his friends here to celebrate with him; made his day!

I've noticed that my son is maturing, in that he now takes great pride in having his dresser drawers very neatly organized. He does his own laundry, even hanging it on the line to dry (rather than throwing it all in the conveniently-placed yet energy-hogging dryer next to the washer like his father is apt to do). About mid-week last week he went on a cleaning rampage around the house and picked up toys and items strewn about the house in an effort to start tidying up before the party. This is new behaviour, this taking pride in one's home and general appearance. I guess I should welcome and encourage it but otoh I don't want it becoming obsessive. But maybe that's the slob in me talking. LOL

My daughter is pretending her baby stroller is a wheelchair. She's on the verge of being too big to sit in it - wedges herself in and then scoots along with her feet. I remember having thoughts like that as a child, wondering what it would be like to be different than I was - whether that was wearing glasses or being deaf or being in a wheelchair. Just really wondering what it would be like. I think it's safe for her to ponder these things in the shelter of her own home. Obviously I don't encourage her to go out in public in her doll stroller.

I think I might have gotten into this exercise habit now. 16 out of 21 days this month I've moved and grooved... and while I'm not seeing any weight loss and I'm not yet squeezing into my too-small pants, I am feeling good about taking the time to exercise most days. I know there are triggers for me to not exercise: leaving it too late in the day, expecting to go farther or longer (or working out harder) than my normal pace. I sometimes have trouble keeping in mind I've been a sloth the past 19 months and it's going to take a little time to get back into the groove. But every day, little by little, I'm making it a priority. And it feels gooooooooood.

How 'bout you? What's new with you?

No comments: