21 January 2011

Re-activating Activity ;)

Things are great around here. I (finally!) got back into rowing the past few days... nothing too major, 5 kms on the indoor rower each day (takes about 25 minutes - it's equivalent in time to running (if you're conditioned, lol))... burns about 275 calories. When I first went vegan, nearly 5 years ago, I jumped into rowing 10 kms a day, and gradually over that first year it eeked up to 12 kms a day, with a goal of 333kms a month. That was a LOT! But, the benefits of regular exercise were obvious. Then I went off rowing for a while as I fasted for 45 days. I finished fasting and went right back into rowing regularly, 5 kms a day. I managed to do that for quite some time, then when I went into a fast in Sept 2009 I stopped rowing for the 30 days I fasted. I never quite got back into rowing after that. The past year I've started and stopped several times. It can be hard to get into a routine of regular exercise, hard to make your health a priority in your life. I mean, we all have busy busy lives. You really have to make TIME for regular exercise, and there's so many other things that need to be done, right?

I think one thing that's inspired me to get moving again is the ill health of two older family members recently. Made me rethink how I've been taking my health for granted.

That, and I can't fit into any of the clothes I'd *like* to be wearing right now. LMAO

Ya, not exercising regularly for 16 months isn't good for my waistline. :P So I'm back at it. Baby steps. Committing to that half hour of rowing every day (because it's something I can do whatever the weather)...

And I went to the evening tai chi class, morning class another day, and taught 2 classes this week as the beginner classes start up again.

So I'm getting active again. I realize the weight I've put on has been over the past 15 months and I don't expect it to come off in 30 days or less. It's just going to take some time and focus.

As far as eating goes, things are alright, although I feel like I'm eating too much still. Here's what I ate today:
  • 2 bananas
  • 6 ribs celery with ~4T sprouted org almond butter and a handful of raisins
  • 1/2c of goldenberries (mmmmmm i love those) and a small handful of purple mulberries
  • 1c almond milk-chia pudding
  • a cup of nettle tea with stevia
  • a macadamia-cashew raw truffle and a small piece of raisin nut fudge with coconut topping
  • 1.5L of smoothie (2 bananas, ~4c frozen berries, 1T chlorella, 1/2T spirulina, 1T maca, 1/4t kelp flakes, 2T raw agave, a handful of soaked goji berries & soaking water, 1T fresh bee pollen, 1T hemp seeds, 2T freshly ground flax, 1t acai powder)
  • a (vegan) baking soda biscuit the kids made
  • Supplements: weekly B12 sublingual (1000 mcg once a week), one acidophilus, 2 vege-dha capsules, and the fo-ti and borage oil I'm currently taking.
I'm reading a book on disordered eating (as opposed to eating disorders)... and I'd hazard a guess that most people have a slightly to severe dysfunctional relationship towards food - where eating is entwined with social expectations, emotions, and so much else, and not just for nourishment, for fuel. Anyways it's an interesting read and I'm hoping I'll be able to gain some insights into my own relationship with food and how I can peel some layers off of that and rebuild a healthier foundation.

Namaste'

No comments: