19 August 2010

Barnyards & Backyards

I have found a kindred spirit over at Barnyards & Backyards. Others actually exist, who, like me, enjoy just spending time watching their animal friends!!! (very reassuring) I confess, I spend more time with our chickens than I probably ought to. I just sit and watch them. Which is why I noticed one hen who appeared uncomfortable. A little research indicates she might be 'egg-bound' - i.e. have a traffic jam in her oviduct. There *appears* to be an egg (or two?) stuck in there. Just the thought makes me uncomfortable. I put on the gloves and tried to lubricate the vent/oviduct with mineral oil (the book said to, lmao) and now have her under a heat lamp to try to coax things back to normal. She seems ticked with me for putting her in confinement under the lamp. And who knows, *maybe* this is normal for her? 'Though I don't think so. I guess it's wait and see how she does. Frankly, the book frightened me when it said the condition was 'sometimes fatal'. I don't want to lose a hen over this.

Oh, and in case you were counting, we're at 26 birds:
1 Auracana rooster
10 year-old red Sussex hens
2 eleven-week old Brown leghorns
11 eleven-week old White leghorns
1 five-week old Sussex/Auracana cross rooster
1 five-week old Sussex/Auracana cross hen

~farmer nic~

3 comments:

Jordanne Dervaes said...

Thanks for your mention! How is your hen doing? When you said she was acting "uncomfortable" -- how so? What was she doing? Maybe I can help?

JBirch22 said...

awwww poor girl! that certainly does sound uncomfortable! :S

i sure hope she comes out of it alright :)

holymotherofgod said...

ROFL
Yno, I loved having chickens when we were younger. In truth I CANNOT live without eggs. I eat probably more than you're supposed to. Did your chicken ever get fixed over her problem?! Is she still bunged up with eggs?!?!