Beltane, in case you didn't know, is the holiday of May Day, celebrated May 1st. I read all about it in Circle Round: Raising Children in Goddess Traditions (by Starhawk, Diane Baker & Anne Hill), an awesome book, btw. We'll be attending our local homeschooling May Day next Friday, replete with May pole dancing (not the kind of 'pole dancing' you'll find at your local adult establishment, nay, not *that* kind of dancing)... no, it's a lovely celebration of spring... of longer days and spring weather, a celebration of life as new leaves unfold and animals are born. A celebration of fertility, both in the Earth and in women everywhere, as the holiday coincides remarkably close to Mother's Day. Our May Day celebration has the maypole dancing, a potluck, a pocket lady, a lively game of soccer, story telling and skits and acting and general revelry and community-building. We've attended several years now and I love going to it. Hopefully by next Friday the weather will be sunny & warm.
I'm not sure how common the saying is, but I'll (blush &) share it with you anyways: "Hooray, hooray, it's the first of May, outdoor intercourse starts today." Well, not so much around here between the rain and my beloved working out of town, but you know, there's still time for *YOU* to enjoy the first of May... at least, out here on the West Coast, there is. LOL ;) woot woot
No comments:
Post a Comment