18 February 2010

Why I love my clothesline

Today was a beeeeeeeeeeeeeautiful sunny day... not a summer kind of sunny day, more like a very early spring sunny day - it was still quite chilly, with the ocean's breeze, but the sun's rays did feel radiant on one's bare skin.

One thing I really enjoy about sunny days is hanging the laundry out to dry. It is one of my all-time favourite 'chores' to do in the sun. So today I hung laundry... and felt very content while doing it. Happy. Why does laundry on a clothesline make me happy? For one thing, when you pass a house with laundry hanging to dry, it lets you know someone lives there. The house has been occupied in the past 24 hours. I think of it like a kind of really low-key security measure, lol. Laundry's out; the residents are either home, or have been here as recently as just a while ago, and may return at any moment. That's what laundry hanging signifies to me. (maybe that's just odd?) The other thing I like about passing a house with laundry out is that it also says that the residents appreciate the benefits of sun-dried clothes - both environmentally and spiritually. Spiritually, you ask? Sure, I say, although now that I say that I am having a hard time articulating exactly why. You just feel better in the sunshine, and those indescribable benefits of sunshine (I think) are also absorbed by your clothes left out to dry.

Yes, I'm possibly a little too fond of my clothesline. I use it as often as possible. I mean, it's February and I'm already hanging laundry out to dry (I try to use the clothesline exclusively from April to October, weather permitting of course - though an extra rinse cycle in the rain leaves clothes smelling deliciously clean once dry) I have to admit, though, that I have considered seeking 'professional help' for my clothesline infatuation. One time, knowing I had to leave super-early the next morning and wouldn't get a chance to hang out the wet laundry then, so approaching midnight I was out there in the dark hanging laundry... until the neighbour's lights came on. LMAO okay, okay, I realize it wasn't the best thing to do at midnight... on a weekday (better than someone I know who, when he couldn't sleep, chose to SPLIT FIREWOOD at 4:30 A.M.!!!!! can you imagine?!? whack - whack - whack goes the maul, LOL).

Yes, it's been a really wonderful day, between visitors, laundry, tai chi, and all the sunshine and *love* goin' 'round. I am truly very blessed.
Namaste.

1 comment:

teresa said...

We had a clothesline when I was growing up, and funny how I really didn't enjoy that chore! It bugged me because my Dad was so frugal/cheap, that we had to wear crunchy jeans that had been hanging out to dry! Jeans and towels were my pet peeves. I always had to remember to give things a good shake, to get off any possible critters!

Now I can completely understand your point of view - our values certainly change as we get older! I enjoyed reading this!