30 December 2009

to party or not to party... that is the question

Tomorrow being New Year's Eve, we have a couple social invites which have been gratefully bestowed upon us. Trying to decide where we'll end up. I'd actually, honestly, prefer to just stay at home, but somehow I don't think that's gonna fly. The kids' cousins are in town and I feel obliged to hang out with the fam, knowing that it's the 'social' thing to do... (not that I don't like, or don't want to see the family... not at all the case - we're very close and happy to see each other often... don't get the wrong impression... just that I am feeling introspective right now, and a little time alone is often the best thing for me when I'm feeling like that)... Plus, we always go out on New Years. Just once, I kinda want to stay home. What about you? Going out or staying in for the New Year?

Today I was a cross-stitching FIEND. okay, well, to be perfectly up front, I've been working on this particular cross-stitch for an embarassingly long 12 years now. Yes, years. lmao Every winter I get a bee in my bonnet to work on it and I pull it out and put in VERY long days stitching, stitching, stitching away... to the exclusion of all else, lol. Dishes sit dirty, laundry piles up, but I'm happy to be making progress. (to my credit, it is a LARGE cross-stitch (11x14") and I *have* had two children in the past 12 years... it's not like I've worked on it every day for more than a decade) I'm so very near the end now... I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! Every year I say that I'd like to finish it in time to enter it in our town's fall fair, and every year, the fair comes and goes and the piece isn't finished. I'm really hoping to get it done for 2010.

As far as raw food goes, lately I've been trying my best to like sesame milk, but it's just not my favourite. My all-time favourite raw nut milk is almond. I could drink it by the gallon. I use 1c of almonds, soak them, and then drain and rinse. Add ~1.5L of water, a pinch of himalayan salt, a little sweetener (raisins, dates, or agave) and non-alcoholic (homemade) vanilla extract and blend and strain. With that much water it ends up being the consistency of skim or 1% milk instead of whole milk, which I prefer. I usually only use nut milk when I have tea or on raw muesli or granola... sometimes I make a smoothie with it, but almonds are so darn expensive I've now had to switch to seed milk... I'm sure I'll come around to enjoying sesame milk and pumpkin seed milk... at the moment I have a lengthy raw food wishlist; I'm trying to make do with what's in the house and I'm sadly out of frozen berries and trying to wrap my head around making green juices instead of having green smoothies. Hopefully tomorrow I'll make some juice (and exercise!). Juicing is such an awesome way to get vast amounts of green goodness into your body...

Like I said, I've been feeling very reflective and introspective lately... just reflecting on life and doing a little goal-setting (especially with new year's around the corner) and internal mind work. (and I *love* being in this space) Once I get things a little more firmed up, I'll try to share with you some observations and intentions for 2010.

'Til then, sleep well!

No comments: