28 October 2009

Let's Talk about Immunity


(LOL I'm hearing Salt & Peppa's Let's talk about sex in my head as I write that... let's talk about im-mun-ity)

I'm hearin' peeps talkin' about the H1N1 vaccine and the flu shot and stuff, and personally, I'm not sold on 'em. Here's what we do in our house to combat flu season naturally:
  • washing the hands regulary with soap, not antibacterial soap, and personally, i don't like the antibacterial gel dispensers you're seeing in more and more places. and i REALLY don't like going somewhere and being told i *HAVE* to use the gel. that REALLY irritates me.

  • get lots of rest

  • drink lots of water

  • drink fresh raw juices; I like mine with extra dark-leafy greens. Better yet, why not just give me a shot of home-grown, freshly juiced wheatgrass every once in a while.

  • exercise! I believe regular exercise helps keep our immune systems functioning at a high level.

  • eat lots of fresh, raw foods. Garlic. Ginger. Things with Vitamin C in them, like bell peppers and citrus fruits.

  • camu camu berry powder added to green smoothies

  • other things like goji berries and Vitamineral Greens powder

  • I have been known to take Echinacea and Vitamin C supplements :)

And although I'm not getting any sort of kick-back from the rest (hint hint, if you're one of these companies, LOL):

  • Emergen'-C powders in water

  • Cold-FX products

  • BLOCKADE: a friend swears by it. The great thing is b/c it's a lozenge, you can take one when you get sick; you don't have to take it ahead of time with regularity. Which brings me to...

  • homeopathics: Boiron Influenzinium and Thymuline, and Oscillococcinum as well. Recommended is taking them throughout the fall, regardless of whether you're feeling something comin' down or not.
  • And last but not least, try some Oil of Oregano (I prefer internally to really kick the pants off anything that's trying to get me down). Recently dh had a nasty lingering (non-productive) cough and Oil of Oregano is what finally cleared it.

My neighbour has a recipe for home-made cough syrup that she swears by; I think she said it had marshmallow root and some other things in it - I'll try to remember to ask her for the recipe.

STAY HEALTHY!!!!

4 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

Me neither; not sold on the whole shot immunization thing. I just don't buy into it. Too much hype.

Anonymous said...

Great tips - with seven kids I need all the help I can get!

~n~ said...

I read the ingredients on the Emergen'-C powders at the store today and I'm changing my mind on that one; there's too many things in there that I just wouldn't continue to put in my body. And no, I can't remember any of them at this moment.

Also, Blockade is supposed to attach itself to any virus in your body and stop it from replicating. I haven't had to use it yet, but like I say, a friend says it works super-well.

And another blog post I read (http://onpurposeliving.blogspot.com) had SUNSHINE down on the list, and I'd have to absolutely agree. If the sun is shining, get out there and soak it up!!! Totally!

Alissa said...

Hi there,
Great post! I hope you don't mind if I add some of your tips to my list! Off to check out the rest of your blog now. :)

Take care,
Alissa