today i was up before dawn. rowed 2.5 kms, got ready and was out the door by 6:30 so that i could drop the children off at their grandparents as i headed to a full-day tai chi intensive or workshop. i do these 2 or 3 (or 4) times a year to keep up on my instructor accreditation, and also because they're so much FUNNNNNNNN.
Had a fabulous day doing tai chi with 60+ other people, from all over the place - some were visiting from winnipeg & sudbury! Although the workshop ran 6.5 hours, this includes snack breaks and a long meal break, so really, we probably actively did about a good 5 hours of tai chi throughout the day. It's like a 5 hour massage of your internal organs and spine. (Can you imagine what you'd pay for a 5 hour massage at the spa?!?)
I had a conversation with someone after, while we were waiting in the sunshine at the ferry terminal. He said Taoist Tai Chi has a marketing or image problem, in his opinion, in that it's not actively marketed to younger people (i.e. under 50). There are people in our club who are in their early 50s who have been practising for 20+ yrs, which means they began when they were in their 20s and 30s. So what attracted them to tai chi and how do we market to people in that demographic (20s, 30s) today? These are very good questions. The person I was talking to this afternoon said that to market to younger people we have to show how tai chi benefits other activities in one's life - like how it can improve our performance in other sports and activities. I laughed inwardly because one of the best-kept secrets about tai chi is the enhanced (ahem) performance, if you know what i mean. LOL (ooooh i'm blushing) Not only that, you'll sleep more solidly after practising tai chi. In terms of benefits to cross-training, you'll focus longer, more intensely, have greater flexibility, lung capacity, enhanced circulation.... so many benefits that will help in other sports. I not only do tai chi, I also row regularly, and it definitely makes a difference - regular tai chi practice, that is, on my rowing practice. I think this fellow's right. Tai chi needs to be seen as a beneficial activity for all ages, not just for older people.
On that note, I'm off to enjoy a "tai chi sleep". :)
~namaste~
No comments:
Post a Comment