LOL.... didn't you know it was bonbon week this week? oh, if only. I'm afraid it wasn't truly bonbon week, but you'd never know it by the number of raw chocolates I consumed. honestly, you'd think it really WAS bonbon week around here. and it's not just me - i make a batch of raw chocolates and they are gone gone GONE soooo quickly. EVERYONE loves them. :) ohhhh, but they're healthy, I keep telling myself. I'm sure one would be, or maybe two. But four or five? Probably not so much.
But now I'm out of raw cacao butter (which is probably a blessing!) and payday's not for several days, so I'm thinkin' there's gonna be some withdrawwwwwwwwwallllllllll comin' on soon.
boooooooooo hooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
that makes me sad.
but seriously. i've been reading Duane Elgin's Voluntary Simplicity book lately and it's really resonating with me. The concept of simple living - of, first of all, living a life in accordance with one's values... Naturally, this requires actually spending time thinking and discussing what values you'd like to live your life by... and I wouldn't hesitate to say that there are any number of people who live on automatic, who don't ever self-reflect or take the time to set meaningful personal-growth goals in life. I wouldn't doubt that there are people out there who really couldn't articulate what values they are aspiring to live by. Voluntary simplicity - living not in poverty, but with conscious respect for the finite resources our planet has to offer (i.e. taking only what you need, ensuring everyone on earth could theoretically do the same) - this type of lifestyle creates the space in our lives to examine our values. It allows us time to reflect on concepts like right-livelihood, right-speech (one I see I need to think about more as I prattle on here... honestly, which words here are superfluous to the intent of my message? How could I pare down my thoughts to essentials?), relationships, and more. Yes, choosing voluntary simplicity is very thought-provoking.
I liked the message in the book that it is in the small things - the seemingly insignificant things - that we each do that make the collective difference. It's nice to remember that. Sure, it might not seem like we're making much of a difference, but collectively we are.
LMAO... okay, I start the post talking about gorging on chocolates this week, and go on to talk about voluntary simplicity. IRONY, people, IRONY. And no, it's not lost on me. LOL Okay, well, I will admit that part of the message I am getting from Duane's book is also about moderation in food consumption. About eating only what your body NEEDS to replenish and fuel itself. (er, where does chocolate fit into that?! besides, cacao, VERY sadly, is not locally grown) Recognizing that with each indulgence I become a "have", which creates a "have-not" somewhere else on the planet. Being mindful that there are others who live their entire lives without their basic needs being met. Recognizing the interconnectedness of us all on Mother Earth, the impact of our choices on other living beings, on the Earth itself. Yes, our choices do indeed have an impact. You - your choices - are not insignificant.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, "Who am I to be brilliant?"
Actually, who are you NOT to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us.
It is not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others...
~nelson mandela~
No comments:
Post a Comment