05 March 2009

Body Health

Today is turning out so very very well! I think it all started when I woke up. LOL (Don't all days start like that?) I hung the laundry on the clothesline to dry - first time this year, and that always makes me happy... the children had friends over for a visit (making everyone happy)... and generally it's a fantastic day... (why wouldn't it be?! why am I so surprised by this?)

Went to the chiropractor today for another adjustment - 4th visit since my back went out 2 1/2 wks ago... last Thursday I think I told you how he got it EXACTLY in alignment, as evidenced at tai chi class that night when my donyus and toryus were sooooooo relaxing... Anyways today he says my legs are the same length (uh.... good), and able to extend 45 degrees up (he says some people who are really into flexibility & yoga & such can get up to 60 degrees, but he says 45 degrees is really decent)... My back seems to be more or less staying in alignment between visits now, so now I can go 2 wks, and then hopefully 4 wks, and hopefully then 2 months, and possibly even 3 between adjustments. (Wouldn't that be great?!)

He is really quite surprised, I think, at how quickly I'm healing from putting my back out. He has said even though chronologically I may be 34, I seem to be healing like someone in their 20s. (YAHOOOOOO I said silently to myself) The chiropractor figures I'm operating at about 90% 'efficiency' - there are small things that can be adjusted as needed, but he thinks we're going to just be tweaking things, not moving things in a major way.

He gave me a mini-lecture (or started to, anyways) on the importance of exercise on our health - how even 5 minutes a day can benefit our backs & autonomic nervous system, organs, etc. The next level to see noticeable benefits is, in his opinion, 20 minutes, 3 times a week. I stopped him right there and said, okay, I'm doing a half-hour of cardio 6 times a week, as well as tai chi 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours a week. "Oh! Then I think you're doing enough." I think so, too. LOL

I had to laugh when he went on to say that, with quite a high level of confidence, I seem to have no tumors, major health issues (Type II diabetes, heart blockages, risk of stroke, osteoperosis, or dementia later in life, etc) or even mental health issues (that's when I laughed). In his experience, people with these health concerns generally have spinal mis-alignments.

Over the past 34 months, I have come (on my own) to realize the importance of regular exercise. Not only does it help me deal with life's little stresses, it keeps my body functioning at a high level. Spiritually, I believe I benefit from sweating every day. My menstrual cycle is regular when I exercise regularly. My weight is stable. It improves the functioning of my organs, like an increased lung capacity (I can swim 25m underwater!). It improves my mood (and sex life, or is that tmi, LOL). It helps ward off chronic diseases that are rampant among North American adults. Regular exercise helps me sleep more soundly. There are so many benefits to exercise, it's a wonder that there are days when I still procrastinate and dread getting down to it. Bad habits die hard, I guess. LOL Because really, moving our bodies is fun. They are built to move.

Between regular exercise and a very high raw food diet, I believe I am taking responsibility for my overall health. Add to that preventative measures like regular chiropractic care, or massage, or whatever you choose to do, and you're on the right track.

Mmmmm... must go refill water glass.
Here's to your health.... and mine! ;)

No comments: