20 February 2009

Healthy Living

I was reading Udo Erasmus's 'Fats that Heal, Fats that Kill' this afternoon and wow, what a great read that is. What really resonated with me was what he wrote about longevity (p 379):

"A long life is the cumulative result of doing a lot of little things right. It results from a balance of the following factors:
  • fuels that build the fire of life necessary to keep cells active and clean;
  • antioxidants that provide spark control;
  • avoidance of external and internal toxic influences;
  • digestive efficiency;
  • optimally functioning bowel flora;
  • the right kinds of fiber that keep our colon clean;
  • clean water to drink and bathe in;
  • clean air;
  • sunlight;
  • physical activity that keeps our body fit;
  • rest and relaxation;
  • challenges worth meeting;
  • good feeling about oneself;
  • positive goals and constructive activities;
  • mutually supportive relationships;
  • a clean and natural environment;
  • independence in thinking and livelihood;
  • emotionally healthy beliefs;
  • a sense of humour;
  • faith in nature, life, and the human body;
  • enjoyment of our own life;
  • positive regard for life in general."

I wholeheartedly agree with him on every one of those points. And really, how many of those are we able to control or influence? So many. He goes on, a short while later, to discuss the concept of conscious living (p 403):

"Living consciously means being aware of our feelings, emotions, and thoughts; being aware of the actions that flow from emotions and thoughts; being aware of the consequences of our actions, and learning from these consequences. Living consciously is necessary for realizing today, in our life, what we imagine were the 'good old days' or what we hope will be the 'better future'. Living consciously has always required the effort of being aware, present, alert, and deliberate. While the circumstances in which we face the challenge of living consciously change, conscious living is simply a question of values, priorities, and commitments. Conscious living has always been, is, and always will be possible for any person, under any set of circumstances - a matter of deciding and choosing how we live."

I love that last sentence - conscious living is available to us all, in every moment. Are you up for that - for the challenge of choosing conscious living in THIS moment? I sure am. That one goal - living consciously - is what fuels me, is what wakes me up with a smile on my face every day - I think it's possibly the very best thing that I can aspire to - that I can role model for my children - to live consciously, responsibly, and in the present moment. After all, my life is good. SOOOO good. And I am SO grateful for every aspect of it. I'm not looking backwards at some 'good ol' days', nor do I spend time fantastizing about the future that is yet to come... sure I think about it, I make goals and plans and such, but it is not what my life is about. Life is here, now, and it's damn good. Even with a sore back, lol.

And check out this crazy statistic (p 405): "In 1815, sugar consumption was 15 pounds per person per year. In 1865, human beings consumed about 40 pounds of sugar per year. By 1900, sugar consumption had risen to 85 pounds per person per year. In 1970, sugar consuption was about 120 pounds per person per year, and today (1993) it stands at 135 pounds (61 kilos) per person per year." That is beyond incredible. It's a tad horrid, don't you think? I wonder what it is today - 16 years later?

Chapters 90 (The biological basis of natural therapies) and 91 (Health as Wholeness) really spoke to me, too. But I'll leave you with that... just check the book out sometime if you are so inclined. :)

namaste'

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

omg that is CRAZY about the sugar...