02 February 2009

Happy Groundhog Day

What d'ya figure - 6 more weeks of winter? or an early spring? Ol' Wiarton Willie, in Wiarton, ON, saw his shadow this morning, and you know what that means - 6 more weeks of winter... according to a groundhog, that is (I wonder, is the groundhog more accurate than the meteorologists at Environment Canada at predicting this?!).

Well, it's a new month... and a rather special month around our home. Out of 4 in our family, 3 of us have birthdays this month, as well as Valentine's Day, so it's celebrations galore! :) To celebrate the first birthday this month, we went to the city yesterday to see the Chinese New Year Parade. There were lion dancers, the dragon dance, firecrackers (to scare away evil spirits), red envelopes, oranges, lanterns, drumming and more. Lots of fun. I forgot to look for young coconuts at the markets down there. And maybe durian if I can find one. I've never tried it.

We went to the raw food cafe for a bite; I had a piece of pesto pizza (yummy!), dh had a plate of flax crackers, cashew sour cream, guacamole, and salsa. The kids shared a kids' plate with carrot and apple slices, almonds and raisins and some sweet flax crackers with cranberries & cinnamon. The kids shared a smoothie and we took a chocolate heart each to-go (not that they made it far!) All in all, a delicious meal. I was quite stuffed after snacking off dh's plate as well.

I've started filtering our drinking water through a portable water filter unit that we had in our camping gear. One day I suddenly thought, 'Why am I not using that to filter our tap water?!' We're on a community water system and our tap water is presently chlorinated, although we are upgrading to a UV system in the near future. I have a chlorine filter on the shower, but no other water filters in the house. So now I'm using a 3.78L glass jug and filtering water into it daily. It tastes remarkably better than the tap water itself (I'm trying not to think about it, actually). On the water jug, I've written "Healthy, Healing Water" in permanent ink - read about Dr. Masaru Emoto's research on water here.

That's all for today. I've rowed my 5 kms and drank 3L of (pure, filtered) water, so far. I'd better begin making something nibbly for the kids for dinner.

Namaste,
~n~

Update: My raw dinner was a surprise. I made nori/california rolls with a little miso and a bunch of veggies wrapped up in them, only I didn't notice that the package of dessicant in with the nori sheets had apparently opened and sprinkled onto the sheet (only the tiniest amount... nonetheless), leaving a VERY disgusting taste on the nori (I'm using up the last of the toasted nori in the house before buying raw nori; I don't know if raw nori even comes with dessicant packs). Anyways, I was quite disappointed about it; ended up composting my nori rolls shortly thereafter. In the evening I continued to drink water but then the water began to take on a very disgusting, metallic taste as well. I'm not sure what was going on there (was I simply rinsing any residual dessicant from my mouth?), but I ended up stopping that, too. I was slightly concerned I'd end up ill from the whole thing, but I seem fine (the next morning).

No comments: