23 December 2008

'Tis the Season...

I've had a lovely, if somewhat rushed, day. Our family played a boardgame after breakfast (how blessed I felt to awaken to the sounds of dh starting the woodstove and making a lovely breakfast, to the aromas of foods he and the children love - SO nice to have him home!), and then spent several hours all working together, getting things done (housework, chores, wrapping & packing) so we can head off for the holidays in the morning. Tonight I am going to go wrap presents and then make Christmas Kuchens to take with us for the holidays... it's a sweet-bread with almond paste filling and cherries and cardamom... mmmmm if only it were raw. LOL ;) I wasn't sure earlier if I was going to have time to make it (and since it takes 2-3 hrs, I'd better get started), but I felt so strongly that kuchen is a Christmas tradition in our house, and while traditions certainly don't have to be adhered to, I really want to make kuchen tonight. :) (Food for thought there that traditions don't have to be adhered to. Be flexible and compassionate with yourself - and be reasonable; if there isn't time, there isn't time - don't feel guilty if you don't do things in exactly the same way each year or each holiday or season. (LMAO anyone who knows me knows that being reasonable is wide-open to interpretation with me, the Aquarian - LOL (is it reasonable to stay up most of the night wrapping presents, or to make kuchens at 3 a.m. when we have a 9 a.m. flight to catch?!?! Well, okay, that may not seem reasonable, although other members of our family have been known to be that kind of reasonable... no names, no names.)

dh & I had a wonderful day alone yesterday. His parents graciously offered to spend the day with our children so we could have time alone - the first day we've spent alone together in nearly 6 MONTHS!! (That's quite the oxymoron: alone together. I mean, either you're together, or you're alone, but how do you be alone together?!) We went off-Island, spending hours just being TOGETHER. How nice. Time to chat, to actually look at each other, hold hands, hear our ideas and thoughts and dreams. It was more than wonderful. It was the bestest of the best. And how lovely that all of us - the two of us, his parents and our children, all benefitted from the day - his parents had a fantastic day with our children - they went sledding in the snow and generally had a terrific day by the sounds of it, and dh & I were able to spend long-overdue time alone enjoying each other's company. Loving it!

Today would have been my maternal grandmother's 94th birthday (1913 or 1914 - I can't quite remember). She passed away 7 years ago next February. She was a wonderful person, a caring wife, mother, grandmother, and an accomplished and renowned artist (among so many other things); we have several of her pieces in our home. I have a beautiful black-and-white photo of her from our wedding day; when I'm at home I'll have to post it on here. Today I remember her and feel honoured to have been able to share in her life.

Eight years ago today is also the day that my son got his first tooth. When I look at pictures of him, at 9 months, wow, does that ever take me back... how I loved it all... the new-ness of motherhood, the softness of his skin, the smell of him, the gurgling and cooing and snuggliness of his little baby self. And that tooth! That first tooth! And then fast forward 8 years and here I have a boy who is growing so very quickly! Who has lost that first tooth already (lost it more than 3 yrs ago)!! Amazing growth (in both he & I) these past 8 years. Again, I am feeling very honoured in this moment to have him in my life.

~namaste~

2 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

RE: Today would have been my maternal grandmother's 94th birthday (1913 or 1914 - I can't quite remember). She passed away 7 years ago next February. She was a wonderful person, a caring wife, mother, grandmother, and an accomplished and renowned artist (among so many other things); we have several of her pieces in our home. I have a beautiful black-and-white photo of her from our wedding day; when I'm at home I'll have to post it on here. Today I remember her and feel honoured to have been able to share in her life.

Me too... Every 23rd of Dec I think about her. Good thoughts, nic.

holymotherofgod said...

I will also add that we were talking this morning about my nephews and niece. John was saying how he "really liked that Richie. He is really well behaved and intelligent; a very good kid".

I thought Richie might want to hear that, because he certainly has grown up to be very very good kid
=)
(We were also laughing remembering Adala at mom and dad's cabin in what was that Aug 07when she was lying her face off about camels making oatmeal or something and hamming it up ...LOL)
=P