08 July 2008

Transportation & Lessons from Childhood

Yesterday we went car-shopping. We have two 1991 vehicles (and it's 2008, right) so we're not exactly running new cars. It was discussed that we ought to upgrade one of them, especially since the van is not economical on fuel, and with fuel prices having risen by 30+% in the past year, it is certainly affecting our financial position (why haven't incomes risen by 30%?!). So we talked about getting a fairly new vehicle, a couple years old, but not more than 5. Someone else really liked the Toyota FJ, but I'm partial to the Subaru Forrester. Again, more discussion. In the end, being that I will be the one driving it the majority of the time, we agreed on the Subaru.

So we went looking and found a 2005 Forrester with only 43K kms on it and a lot of extras, including power stuff, heated seats, AC (which I don't like using b/c of the environmental impact), and a large sunroof. One older lady owner from a small local island, who had traded it in for a new one. It looks similar to this:

Now, most people who know me know I come from a family-of-origin of near-scrooges when it comes to spending money. My parents NEVER bought a brand-new car until my mother retired and spent her own money on one (we always had used cars). Granted, I never felt poor growing up, but it wasn't ever encouraged to spend a lot of money on anything - I guess I learned that material things won't make you happy. And to work hard and save your money and one day you'll have it all (when that one day is, I have no idea - I still see my father, in particular, striving to get to that mythical day). As an adult, I am in a relationship with someone who grew up the opposite - his parents spent money ordering out every payday (something unheard of in my childhood) and generally spending a little more freely than I think my family did. So for him, I think it comes a little easier to spend significant amounts of money than for me. Nevertheless, I did it. I spent a considerable sum of $ on this car yesterday. And was nearly ill the rest of the day. LOL

I have to say, it certainly helps that the two of us have different orientations towards money. I certainly, on my own, would not ever have bought that car. But with a little prodding and encouragement, it was done. I appreciated that several times yesterday I heard that I was worth it. Because I guess part of it is that I don't believe in myself enough - and show me a woman that doesn't have self-image issues and I'll show you a pig that can fly - it seems we all have SOME issue... I asked why he thought I was worth it, and he replied, without hesitation, that I am a good wife and mother and he wanted to show me how much he appreciates the effort I put into my life - caring for the children and him and looking after everything around the house, and he hoped that everytime I got in to drive the car that I would be reminded of how much he believes in me.

Yes, it's just a way to get around. It's a material thing. Despite having bought this car, I still don't believe in consumerism as the be-all, end-all, or a newer car as a sign of personal success - it's not. Reckless consumerism is not sustainable. So it was a hard struggle for me to reconcile buying a newer vehicle in that regard. And as far as what lessons the next generation is learning? At bedtime, I was told, "You know, it's just a car. Sure it's nice, but when I get old enough, I'm just going to ride my bike everywhere. Cars pollute too much and gas will be too expensive." Which put a smile on my face.

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

Subaru?! Nice ! Me too !!