12 November 2011

the incredible expanding grocery bag

I spent 7 hours at tai chi in town today at an instructor's gathering. We discussed commitment - the commitment we, as instructors, have made (to further our own training), and what the nature of that commitment is. It was a very interesting discussion, as I've heard students say that commitment is one reason they hesitate to become instructors themselves. One instructor said that long ago he had heard a story which has stuck with him for many years... I'll paraphrase as best I can...

We tend to think of our lives like a paper grocery bag. We keep putting things into it (commitments, responsibilities, etc.) and at some point, we perceive it to be full. "Can't fit another thing in!" we think to ourselves when people ask us to take on more. But when we practice tai chi (probably yoga or meditation or similar activities, too), it is "bag-expanding" in that the more we practice, the bigger our grocery bag seems to get. And when we decrease the amount of time we spend practising tai chi, the bag appears to get smaller.

It was a very interesting story as it made me aware that our perception of time is just that - a perception. As others have pointed out in the past, we all have the same 24 hours every day in which to do things. It is all a matter of how we choose to use those moments that adds up to a life worth living. (more on that in another post, another day)

On top of the tai chi gathering, we house-sat (and dog and cat-sat) for the neighbours, walking their dog in the morning and again in the evening, and I also did the water job tonight, too. It was a busy day and the kids ended up eating dinner after 8 p.m., which is soooooo different than when I was a kid; we ate promptly at 5 p.m. or 5:30 at the latest nearly every night! I have a few other things I'd like to get done this weekend, so I'm signing off, but wish you well.

Namaste'

1 comment:

holymotherofgod said...

It's funny you mention "the eating schedule" in the same post as committments and time management. I think people who seem to have busy schedules just create time, create schedules in order to prioritize and make things work. You can fit a lot into 24 hours if you're motivated and organized!