Today was pretty much an at-home day, which was *FAN*tastic. Not very often the calendar is empty for an entire day.
I am getting the hang of pressure-canning, now having done two batches of baby beets, one batch of whole tomatoes (which ended up looking rather stewed) and two batches of green beans. I'm going to work on the farm tomorrow and am hoping to come home with more produce to 'put up'. I'm inspired by the kitchen cupboards here; they have a great picture of their cupboards with all the canned food inside that i can't find right now on dial-up. :P
There's been a huge shift going on in my perspective lately; I can feel it. I'm noticing that I'm needing to learn some new skills surrounding managing money and finances and also a need to let go and declutter a LOT around here. (must be reading about Voluntary Simplicity that's got me itching to make changes; that, and my pack-rat neighbour is doing some decluttering, and (well, not to be competitive with him or anything, lol, but) i just know that decluttering will open new spaces and opportunities up in our lives... much needed fresh energy.
Speaking of energy, there's the whole Smart Meter program being hurried into implementation in our province. It's really got my hackles up; from the way it's being done, the privacy concerns about the information they will be collecting about my family's energy usage, the mercury switch in the meter (equivalent to 500 CFL lightbulbs in each meter is what I read), having no reasonable opt-out options, the bringing in of wireless technology in a neighbourhood where there currently is none (including no cell phone coverage and dial-up as the main internet option), and where there is no community discussion on whether we *want* this technology forced down our throats... on and on, questions about why Hydro would spend twice the amount of money they expect to save (how is that fiscally responsible of a public utility?), questions about the safety of these smart meters, about appliances going haywire after the installation. I want to know why, when EMFs are classified by the World Health Organization as a Class 2B possible carcinogen in May of this year, why then are Smart Meters being allowed at all. Questions, questions, questions. Yes, I have concerns and I'm not alone. I have enough concerns that I've sent a letter of no-consent to BC Hydro and I support communities around the province who are asking for a moratorium on the installation of these things. I was shocked to learn that neighbours have *already had theirs installed*, several weeks ago. I hear of other neighbourhoods in the greater urban area who are going through installation as well. It's bullocks. Makes me want to go off-grid, big-time.
There's a yahoo group called Parents for Choice which is lobbying against the smart meters. I encourage all parents in BC to join. I hate to say it, but Friday night, when I was at a neighbourhood gathering with 7 other neighbours, and the Smart Meter topic came up for discussion, I was made to feel like a freak for having any concerns at all about them. My concern about EMFs was dismissed flippantly and the subject was quickly changed. It's not JUST the EMFs (although imo that's enough to warrant exercising due consideration before their implementation), it's all the other things I also mentioned above. And more.
Eating Local: we are making such GREAT strides in eating local this year. Working at the farm is making a huge difference as I come home with the excess produce (like 9 lb zucchinis/courgettes, lol). Today the kids had vegetable soup for lunch that was almost entirely local produce in it and dinner was rice and lentils with vegetables and coleslaw (all the veggies were local, and the rice & lentils came from the food co-op in bulk 25 lb quantities, so I felt really good about these meals). The kids continue to eat healthy, whole-food, vegetarian meals, and we're trying to source as much of our food locally as we can.
Generally, I'm spending time lately thinking about where I want to be 5 yrs from now, and realizing that if I don't take action steps now, I won't ever get to that place/goal. So if it starts with decluttering and snowballs from there, awesome. (Goal for September: get that field plowed and plant a cover crop!)
I am woman; hear me roar!
No comments:
Post a Comment