23 March 2011

The circle of Life

Today was a beautiful sunny spring day... It was nice to get outside and feel the warmth of the sun on your face, and just to be in Nature.

This morning, our 'sickie' hen passed away. She's not been well for a couple months, I'd say, but the past week or so, it's been quite acute. Every morning she'd come to me and ask to be put in her own pen, separate from the others. So when I'd be home all day, I'd put her in isolation and she seemed to be faring better in there, although still hadn't been eating much and wasn't laying. But the isolation pen isn't very secure from predators, so each evening I'd put her back in the coop with everyone else. This morning ds let the chickens out and he didn't know to put her in on her own... and by mid-morning, she was near-death when I went out, the others had pecked her so badly. So I held her in my arms and just held her as she passed on about an hour later. I cried. dd cried. I know it's "just a chicken," and death isn't 'the end' (at least, not imo), but still, to see a sentient being pass through life's cycle, in your arms, is a humbling - *very* humbling, and grounding experience.

This afternoon, we went to WildPlay's Monkido Adventure Course. It was... exhilarating! Zip-lines, and an aerial obstacle course for a couple hours in amongst the tall firs and cedars in the forest. dd did the kids' course with dh guiding from below. ds and I did 3 of 4 levels of the adults' course of increasing difficulty. It was pretty amazing. We all had the wits scared out of us at different places, but sometimes doesn't that just bring life down to the very basics? Doesn't it just make you appreciate life a little more when you scare yourself half to death?! Between the morning's and afternoon's events, it was a day to feel grateful for life. A day to honour Life.

Since the afternoon's excitement, it's taken several hours of recounting our adventures to settle down... I'm sure we'll all sleep well tonight! The past couple nights we've had a froggy in our pond outside our living room window. There are few things better than the sound of a frog croaking on a starlit country night when you're drifting off to sleep! Sweet dreams, Kermit!

Grateful for all of life's blessings,
~n~

No comments: