11 February 2011

a peek in the pantry

I feel like I didn't get a whole lot accomplished today, but in retrospect, it was all good. dd played at a friend's while I taught tai chi, and the class is going really really well. I picked up our food co-op order afterwards and got to meet my friend's new puppy, who (of course) is adorable. Husky/Shepherd/Collie cross; 14 1/2 weeks old. very sweet puppy. and smart. I came home and had good intentions of getting out and doing yardwork (it was overcast but not raining) but ended up playing duets with my daughter on the piano (*most* enjoyable!) and hanging out at the table while my son did workbook pages. We put his hanging shelf unit back up (it fell down when the roof was getting fixed; those roofers were thumping around up there, and i'd (foolishly) only used 1/2" screws to install the shelf. Today I put 2" screws in and it's not going anywhere now!). Got all his books and stuff back onto the shelf and generally tidied his room. Got myself mentally in order for the weekend; it's dd's bday party on Sunday and I still have to clean the house, make the cake, prepare food and put goody bags together. There's time, right?!? (she said, hoping...) I'll start the pre-party-panic tomorrow. LOL That's what it's known as around here: PPP. "You in full PPP?" "Sure am." So really I'm feeling like the only 'task' that got done today was putting ds's shelf back up. It's not much (considering the multitude of unfinished house maintenance tasks), but it's a step in the right direction. We'll have to tackle dd's room tomorrow. There's paper dolls, stuffies, pretend food, tea party stuff, Barbies, Polly Pockets and more out at the moment. All in a space that measures 8'x16'. What I neglected to mention was all the housework and little things I did today - laundry, dishes, caring for the animals, etc., etc. So really it was a productive day... if it's important to measure productivity, that is. LOL

On a completely different note, (lol) I've started washing my hair with baking soda. I've been rinsing with apple cider vinegar (and a few drops of essential oil: lemon or orange usually, sometimes lavender) for a while now, but switching to baking soda for washing is new. So far it seems to be working quite well for my hair. I also read that baking soda can be used in place of deoderant, among its many varied uses. I generally buy a 10 lb bag of b soda through our food co-op.

As you know, I eat raw vegan, for the most part. My son is vegetarian and dd and dh are omnivores (although dd eats vegetarian at least 50% of the time). So our cupboards and fridge really do have quite the variety of foods. From time to time it's good for me to reflect on just what I have in the house that's "my" food, and I thought I'd share what's on the shelves/in the fridge at the moment, in no particular order: (all organic unless otherwise noted)
  • maca powder
  • kelp flakes
  • raw nori sheets
  • raw agave
  • extra virgin coconut oil
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • goji berries
  • incan/goldenberries
  • purple and white mulberries
  • dried mango
  • dried apricots
  • dried cranberries
  • thompson and golden raisins
  • currants
  • black sphinx dates
  • dried plums
  • dried cherries
  • raw cacao nibs
  • raw cacao powder
  • cacao butter
  • whole cacao beans
  • carob powder
  • himalayan salt
  • pacific sea salt
  • dulse
  • acerola cherry powder
  • acai berry powder
  • chlorella powder
  • spirulina powder
  • wheatgrass powder
  • sunflower seeds
  • pumpkin seeds
  • hemp seeds
  • chia seeds
  • sesame seeds
  • almonds
  • walnuts
  • pecans
  • cashews
  • brazil nuts
  • brown flax
  • golden flax
  • flax crackers already made
  • nutritional yeast
  • sprouted almond butter
  • dried figs
  • sundried tomatoes
  • coconut sugar
  • buckwheat, including sprouted dried buckwheat
  • kelp noodles
  • sprouted trail mix
  • nama shoyu
  • vanilla beans and homemade non-alcoholic vanilla extract
  • apple cider vinegar (as well as balsamic and white)
  • some pine nut/red pepper salad dressing
  • miso
  • dried wild mushrooms
  • dried stinging nettle
  • whole hullless oat groats
  • a large assortment of dried herbs and spices, as well as condiments like sweet chili sauce, pickled ginger, stone ground dijon mustard, etc.
  • a variety of sprouting seeds, and a tray of half-grown wheatgrass

Then of course, there's the produce (about half of which is non-organic at the moment):

  • bananas
  • apples, org
  • lime
  • lemon
  • ginger
  • yam, org
  • garlic, org
  • onion, org
  • broccoli
  • carrots, org
  • bell peppers (red, orange & yellow)
  • cucumber
  • cabbage, org
  • celery, org
  • mushrooms, org
  • collards, org
  • kale, org
  • romaine lettuce
  • oranges, org
  • jerusalem artichoke/sunchoke, org
  • tomato
  • green onions, org
  • kombucha (I have about 2L in the fridge, and also have two new batches on the go)
  • some sprouted almond milk
  • frozen berry blend (blackberry, raspberry, blueberry)
  • frozen raw chocolates, raisin nut fudge with young coconut topping, and caramel bars

WOW! What variety!!! (And that's just off the top of my head; if I looked, there's probably more) I was saying to someone the other day how I have never been the person who's cupboards were bare. I'm no Mother Hubbard, that's for sure. Even in university, when everyone is so stereotypically poor, I always had food to eat. It's one of my 'issues'. LOL But let's not open that can of worms! lmao

Suffice to say, there's plenty of variety available to me in terms of food. Plenty. I like that I have a variety of foods with which to create raw food entrees, although admittedly, I stick to a few staples, like green smoothies, nettle tea, chia pudding, salads, and trail mix. But if I *want* to, I have options. LOTS of options, by the looks of it. Time to get creative in the kitchen! ;D

No comments: