16 January 2010

Tai Chi

I am a volunteer Taoist Tai Chi (Internal Arts & Methods) Beginner Instructor, and today our branch held an open house (demo and free try-it class) in three different locations to advertise upcoming classes.


I have been taking tai chi classes for over just over 4 years now and have noticed many benefits. Tai chi is accessible to all; no matter how old or young you are, no matter what your fitness level, tai chi is a form of gentle exercise that is beneficial to all. While the graceful, slow movements may not look like they're doing much, trust me: they are. Many people with health issues such as MS, arthritis, osteoporosis, cancer, and many other issues have all found tai chi to improve their health. Even people in wheelchairs are able to adapt tai chi to do a sitting set. It really is something everyone can do. Tai chi is a widely popular form of exercise, and is practiced by many many people throughout the world.


I first started because I remember seeing the older Chinese gentlemen practicing in the early mornings in the parks of the city. I took a set of classes when I was in my late teens at a health club, but never continued practicing. At 30, I attended an open house like our club held today, and signed up for the beginner set of classes... and it's been ongoing ever since.

My Thursday night class is sacrilege. I try hard not to miss it, even driving 100 km roundtrip to drop kids off for childcare so i can take advantage of the class. (if that's not dedication...) I *love* what I get out of tai chi.

  • I have more flexibility, both in body and mind.
  • I have better balance, again, not only in my physical body but also in my life overall.
  • I have amazing focus while practicing tai chi; I get into the zone. I'm able to set aside anything that's on my mind and be fully present. I don't have to wear any of the hats I so often wear throughout the day; I can just be... no one expects anything of me. I'm just there.
  • We practice silently, which means I don't have to explain myself to anyone. I can just be in the group, co-creating a beautiful synergy with those around me.
  • Practicing tai chi massages my internal organs, increases circulation, and also aids in the circulation of lymph in the body.
  • Tai chi has helped me become more fully aware of my body - the slow movements allow me to feel every vertebrae moving, or where my hand is in space, relative to the rest of my body... very helpful.
  • There is a strong sense of community, incredible bonding that happens between tai chi'ers that is really hard to describe.

If you're at all curious, check out the website - www.taoist.org and see if there's a class near you.

No comments: