03 November 2009

So yesterday's fish hatchery tour was really neat; sadly, only 2 of the 8 hs'ing families originally interested were able to make it last-minute, but still, it was a great tour. We didn't see them actually harvest eggs or 'milk' the male salmon as none of them were ready or mature enough... they'll be going back up on wednesday morning to check them all again as well. Still, of the 65 chinooks they've already done, there were something like 350,000 fertilized eggs in trays which we got to see - VERY cool. In the springtime when they have hatched and are "buttoned up" we may get the opportunity to go back and hand-feed them all as they grow, which would be really interesting, as well as possibly helping with their release later into the river.

Also took ds and his friend to their Aikido class in town last night. Nothing too eventful to report there; they enjoyed it. I took the puppy to the park and had a herbal tea during part of their class. Today I'm taking my kids with me as I teach tai chi class this morning and this evening ds has yet another Aikido class, only much closer to home.

What kind of homeschooling mischief will we get into today? ;) Oh, probably finish painting the dough ornaments we made last week (HOPEFULLY; there are 4 cookie sheets full of ornaments on the kitchen counters!!) and seal them, keeping a close eye on broody hen who is due to hatch out 3 eggs any day now, a romp through the forest to the creek out back to find salamanders and frogs and other exciting discoveries, dd is already practising her piano and also some creative dancing, ds will most likely do a fair bit of silent reading, add a few interesting discussions throughout the day and I think we've got most of it covered!

So far today I've had 1L of green smoothie (salad mix, purple kale, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, black raspberries and marionberries, VitaMineral Green, camu camu berry powder, goji berries, maca powder, agave nectar, chlorella tablets and water) and, er, a few Hallowe'en candies, which, no, weren't vegan, raw, or at all healthy.

But right now I have a puppy barking relentlessly at me to get my butt out of bed and come play with her. I guess I'd better get up. :)

No comments: