Each week, we get a CSA produce box from our local organic farm, we get a bin of organic produce that we order through an online grocer that delivers to your door, and we have our own veggies outside, as well as getting a monthly local organic box from another source(and I haven't even mentioned farmer's markets or farm gate sales!). (YESTERDAY, November 8th, I was *STILL* eating fresh raspberries from our garden... unbelievable. You'd think I lived in California and not the Pacific Northwest!) Yes, we eat a LOT of fresh fruits and veggies in our house. In fact, we have a fridge that is JUST for fresh produce. The other fridge has jars of nuts and seeds, cooked grains and legumes sometimes, dairy, meat, condiments, dh's beer (LOL), etc. I've found that just having more fruits and veggies in the house means the kids reach for them more often. It's that simple. No junk food (or even processed food, for that matter)? No arguments over it!
i've edited the following (while I personally don't advocate eating fish, the researchers do, fwiw); here's the original:
Researchers at University College London found that a diet including plenty of fresh vegetables, fruit and fish could help prevent the onset of depression.
They compared participants -- all civil servants -- who ate a diet largely based on "whole" foods with a second group who mainly ate fried food, processed meat, high-fat dairy products and sweetened desserts.
Taking into account other indicators of a healthy lifestyle such as not smoking and taking physical exercise, those who ate the whole foods had a 26 percent lower risk of depression than those who ate mainly processed foods.
People with a diet heavy in processed food had a 58 percent higher risk of depression.
The high level of antioxidants in fruits and vegetables could have a protective effect, as previous studies have shown higher antioxidant levels to be associated with a lower risk of depression.
Eat your fresh (local, organic, raw) veggies and fruit, already!!
2 comments:
You and Aleesha both posted about raw foods today. I commented to her that I just read an article today about the USDA trying to keep produce from being sold raw. Apparently they discovered that if they treat it all and hit it with radiation then E. coli and other bacteria can't live on it. They're also killing all good bacteria by doing that, but hey, they've got friends in the FDA so who cares? When people get sick they can make a lot of money off of it.
If people dont take a stand against that, I'm going to have to get all of my produce from over-seas. I am so leaving America first chance I get.
I never comment much, but I just wanted you to know that I read your blog all the time. I find your posts to be insightful and inspiring. We are on a similar path in different parts of the globe, but I always feel a kinship with you. Thanks for the post about depression rates. It was something I felt to be true but didn't have the facts to back me up.
Post a Comment