(thanks to a long weekend - being Thanksgiving up here in Canada yesterday. Don't you ever get that after a holiday monday - that Tuesday just feels like a Monday, like the beginning of the week?)
I went to the dentist today for a cleaning... my first cleaning in nearly 5 YEARS. (slightly overdue for one, eh) Aaaaaannnnnnndddddddd..... GOOD NEWS!!! The hygenist & dentist were very impressed with the state of my teeth "considering the lack of professional care". LOL The hygenist said I must have "excellent home care" (meaning I must floss daily, which I confess, I don't... probably every other day. I mean, SERIOUSLY, who flosses daily, other than people who work in the dental industry? ha ha ha) BUT..... the not-so-great news is that my multitude of old mercury fillings (I got about 20-30 fillings throughout my teen years) are all disintegrating in my mouth and all need to be replaced.... yesterday. Some have been in there going on 20 years now and probably all but one (which I had replaced 2 yrs ago when it just fell out on its own) have been in there at least 15 years now. Apparently those old fillings have a lifespan of roughly 12 years (who knew?!). So we'll be replacing quadrant by quadrant over the next month or two, once we know how much the insurance will cover, and once I have the financial means to make it happen. So I have only one cavity that needs attention and it is underneath a filling, which is clearly no longer functioning properly. So I'd say that eating raw, despite hearing of others who have had significant dental problems since going raw, has actually helped my teeth. (that, and I would argue nursing my children for as long as I did... and I'll spare you the gritty details of how many YEARS I spent breastfeeding... but I do believe that breastfeeding benefits the mother as much as the infant/child, but I shan't digress into that rant at this point). I guess I've been diligent enough with dried fruit - making sure I floss and brush after eating them, and also making sure I don't eat too much dried fruit, as well as flossing after things that could get stuck in my all-too-tight contacts between teeth.... anyways, I can see you're already snoring on this one... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....
So we'll go on to the other noteworthy moment in my day: I had a fantastic tai chi class this morning. Went to half of the continuing class before teaching a beginner's class for an hour. The beginners are wonderful. They're like sponges, soaking it all up. It's so much fun. And I feel so refreshed afterwards, even though we're not going through the complete 108 move set, the 22 moves they now know are really as beneficial as practising a whole set. And we have a lot of fun.
And Thanksgiving dinner yesterday? Ohhhhh what a raw vegan FEAST I enjoyed!!!!! No kidding. I made (Jennifer Cornbleet's) Mediterranean Kale with red pepper, pine nuts and black kalmata olives; Spinach Salad with apple and dried cranberries and Sweet Spiced Pecans with a delicious Lemon-Shallot dressing (from Ani Phyo's book); Walnut-Cranberry Squash 'Rice' (also an Ani Phyo recipe); Nut Loaf; and Autumn Pumpkin Pie (thanks to Ani Phyo!). mmmmmmmmm doesn't it all sound delicious?! I should've taken a photo. :P And everyone enjoyed Cranberry Cordial (juice of: apple, cranberry, lemon, beet, and celery - some said too much celery, but I disagree). Sure, others at the table were enjoying roast turkey and lamb and cooked veggie sides, but you know, we were all thankful for each other's company and for the freedom to choose whatever we like to eat... raw, vegan, cooked, meat, dairy, whatever. There's room for all at my Thanksgiving table.
Today I picked up Ani Phyo's new dessert cookbook from the library. OMGoodness I am *SOOOOOOO* going to enjoy trying all these recipes out!!! I can't WAIT. Word to the wise: don't read it on an empty stomach. LMAO
Today I am grateful for:
- the feeling of really clean teeth after the dental cleaning.
- most-enjoyable tai chi classes this morning
- raw vegan Thanksgiving leftovers ;)
- Ani Phyo's dessert cookbook and the fantastic PHOTOS!!! everything looks so GOOD!!
- energetic healthy children who are just so special.
- dh. What an all-round great guy!
- resolving not one, but two service-provider issues today
- the raw food order that has finally arrived, 3 WEEKS after being mailed (when it's usually overnight delivery. It got sent by mistake to the other end of the Province, then got LOST on its way here. *slaps forehead* good GRIEF)
- the warm heat of the woodstove all day as it is blustery and chilly (oooh, 8 degrees (celsius) ABOVE today. COLLLLLLLDDDDD. I hear it was -22 in Banff yesterday. That's just sick.)
- Being able to serve: not only through volunteering, and raising our children and caring for their needs, but also through the little daily acts of giving, of loving: making dh's coffee & taking it to him in bed, feeding the cats, letting the chickens out, caring for the puppy, looking after other's needs, sharing laughter and smiles... it's very satisfying. I love it. Don't worry, I didn't leave self-care out: I savoured a delicious young coconut water & fresh orange juice with greens powder this morning, among many other moments throughout the day. ;)
I leave you with one of my all-time favourite poems by Lord Percy Blysshe Shelley:
"Music, when soft voices die"
Music, when soft voices die,
Vibrates in the memory -
Odours, when sweet violets sicken,
Live within the sense they quicken.
Rose leaves, when the rose is dead,
Are heaped for the beloved's bed;
And so thy thoughts, when thou are gone,
Love itself shall slumber on.
No comments:
Post a Comment