11 June 2009

Thursday's Musings...

... although we're inching towards Friday very quickly here.... nontheless, here's what's new in my part of the world...
  • Protective Mama Black Bear with 2 cubs in the neighbourhood. Haven't seen her myself (and don't expect to). Our neighbourhood is home to black bears, cougars (aka mountain lions), black-tailed deer, raccoons, zebras (LOL just checking if you're paying attention), squirrels, MANY different types of birds, including California Quail (LOVE those!) and bald eagles, sea otters, and probably other animals I'm not familiar with.
  • Home phone line was out of service for just about 72 hours. While someone mentioned to me that I must've found it "liberating", on the contrary, I found it quite isolating. No cell phone coverage at home, we don't get the newspaper, and the phone line being out meant the internet was out as well (we're on dial-up; no, not by choice), and no local radio stations come in clearly (except for one American station, NPR, which plays Jazz and the other NPR station that plays classical). This all added up to one mama feeling cabin feverish for a couple days, despite getting out in public for a quick fix each day. Completely filled with gratitude that the phone company came this morning and repaired it.
  • Loving the new Excalibur dehydrator!! Made fruit leather today (strawberry-banana), coconut macaroons, and some raw pizza crusts. Love it, love it, LOVE IT. Thinking it will become indispensible very quickly... quite like the VitaMix, which is used EVERY DAY around here. Worth the investment. Totally worth it.
  • Did soil tests yesterday for the cob oven and today made test bricks. Will do more tests on those tomorrow and then hoping to start mixing up small batches to proceed with the cob oven. One friend laughed heartily that I won't be eating any of the goodies that come out of the cob oven, nor will I be eating any of the potatoes we planted last weekend. (There's a good question: can you eat potatoes raw? I think the excalibur manual has a recipe for dehydrated (soaked) potato chips. What's your take on this one? You sure don't see many recipes calling for raw potato)
  • Gardens are doing very well. The plants are *loving* the comfrey compost tea I've been watering them with. Many seeds have sprouted (which is promising!) and we are looking at more sunshine long-range, so it's all good. All good.
  • Went to chiropractor & tai chi today. But now it's nearly midnight and I think I'd better get to sleep. I've been getting up pretty early lately (like 5-ish), but a few days managed to sleep in 'til 8.

Heading off for what will surely be a most rejuvenating slumber and wishing you likewise,

~namaste~

No comments: