04 May 2009

Monday already?!

Wow, did the first 3 days of the month ever fly by quickly!!! We had ds's birthday party here on the weekend... dh planned the activities, I planned the food. There were 3 relay races and the children tie-dyed t-shirts to take home (rather than handing out goody bags). Lots of fun. I made a vegan wacky cake (chocolate) which dh & ds decorated to be a Pokemon Geodude, complete with concrete grey mint icing. Everyone had a great time. :) (pics to come)

Apart from the festivities, the chicks are growing so much. I have pics on the camera I need to transfer to the computer. They were about 4 wks old last friday. They're feathering out very nicely and are, in the past week, becoming more and more friendly and social with us all. The kids are very much enjoying their company.

Raw fooding is going well. I've been having about 2L of green smoothies daily lately. It's just so easy to whip up 2L of smoothie in the VitaMix and then sip on it throughout the morning/afternoon. On top of an average 3L of water, I'm usually fine until late afternoon when I get the munchies. But with a (usually) light snack, I'm good for the day. Usually. There are days when I'm super hungry and other days when I am alright with that.

Today I made 2L of smoothie and shared with the kids: kale florets, 2 bananas, blueberries & raspberries (frozen), about 1L of almond milk, and a couple khadrawi dates, some Enerex greens powder, maca powder, and a little camu camu (I'm suffering ever-so-slightly from allergies the past few days to the Scotch Broom around here (slight sore throat, a few sneezes - nothing like I used to experience with allergies! Yay for raw food!). I ended up having about 1.25L or so.

I'm soaking some sesame seeds to make sesame milk. Tonight I'll soak some almonds overnight, just to have some pre-soaked ones in the fridge for the next couple days. I'm going to soak some sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds to make nori snacks (from RawRose's UnCookbook) - basically a pate inside nori, dehydrated. YUMMY. I'm so glad I came across that recipe today. I've had these snacks before at Cafe Bliss and they really are delicious. I made some seed cheese with the pulp leftover from the almond milk I made (that went in this morning's smoothie); I don't usually make seed cheese - most of the time I just compost the pulp. The seed cheese is fermenting on the counter as we speak. And I made some Ginger Dressing (also from RawRose's UnCookbook) which I'm using to make Asparagus & Red Pepper Salad (again, from RawRose's UnCookbook)... it smells delicious. Oh, and I'm soaking dried apricots right now so I can make candied Jicama (from Fresh, by Valya & Sergei Boutenko) tonight.

So there you have it:
- green smoothie with almond milk this morning
- seed cheese with the leftover pulp
- Ginger dressing to marinade Asparagus & Red Pepper Salad
- Nori snacks to be dehydrated tomorrow day
- Candied jicama to be dehydrated overnight
- sesame milk for the fridge
- pre-soaked almonds for the fridge (most likely for almond milk or butter in the next couple days)

Yes, I spent a fair amount of time in the kitchen dreaming all this up (and I don't even see anything I can eat for dinner in there! Looks like I'll be making another smoothie). I realize the amount of time I spend doing anything is probably double what it would take someone with more focus and concentration, but typically my mind is in 7 different places at once, so it just takes me longer to do, well, anything. I'm used to it. LOL I'm a bit of a dawdler, what can I say? ;)

Today I am grateful for:
- the healing light energy of Reiki
- remembering to live in a way that is for the greatest good of all
- time... to flip through raw cookbooks and plan future snacks and meals
- my children's laughter
- time spent learning to play Chaotic cards with ds
- exercising. I rowed 6.25 kms today.
- my in-laws lending me their vacuum. Ours has been broken since January. Don't worry; the cleaners vacuum once a month when they come. LOL And I've borrowed my in-laws' vacuum several times in-between as well.
- a tidy, clean house. LOL well, it's kinda tidy & clean. Good enough for me!! :D
- to-do lists which help me get important things done.
- my light lean body which is flexible and is built to move!

No comments: