07 January 2009

The monsoons continue...

Got an email from the local emergency team that the road into the big city is closed due to flooding, as well as a few other local roads. Woke up this morning, the gutters/eavestroughs were STILL overflowing, so I bundled up and got the wooden ladder out and managed to clear all the gutters on the house. Yay for me! So at least now the water is going through the drainage system like it ought to have been doing. HOWEVER, that being said - our crawlspace appears to have about 1' of water in it. It has a dirt floor, so that's not an issue, but what could be a problem is that our hot water tank is down there (I have since turned the breaker off to it; I'll just have to make-do without h/w until the water recedes and I can get into the crawlspace to check it out - can't even get into it right now without swimming, LOL) dh's hockey equipment and drum set are also in the crawlspace, and presumably, soaked in water at the moment. That can't be good (although maybe the water will wash the hockey gear?, she says hopefully). I'm contemplating going and renting a pump to move the water somewhere else on the property. We have a creek through the back of our property; it's usually a cute little stream - this morning it's a raging torrent. It's far enough from the house it won't wash us away, but still a sight to behold.

In the greenhouse, the plants are actually DRY. crazy. I had unhooked the watering system when the temperature got so low a couple weeks ago and hadn't hooked it back up. With a plastic roof overhead the plants are showing signs of thirst. Funny when there's so much rain coming down! Maybe I should just lift the sides up for a few hours and let them drink.

So it's rain, rain and more rain here. I'm grateful to have a functioning roof over my head and dry clothes on. I'm grateful the road into the nearest town is clear (don't need to go into the city anyways). I think I'll take the kids outside to see the creek and then down to the ocean to watch the waves. Good times.

No comments: