Yet another beautiful sunny day here... three in a row!! We're spoiled. We hit two different local farmer's markets this morning... and what a SCORE of beautiful produce we got! Artichokes, corn on the cob, Peas, Garlic, Basil, Strawberries, Cantaloupe!!! And there was SOOOOOOO much more for sale. On top of our weekly box from the organic farm, we have an abundance of fresh food to eat.
I just finished reading The 100 Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J.D. MacKinnon, two Vancouverites who, in March 2005, decided to eat nothing but local foods (i.e. produced within 100 miles of their home) for an entire year. The book chronicles their adventures. It was very inspiring to read. They really emphasized what an ABUNDANCE of food we have available to us, especially where we live, here in the Pacific Northwest. And if this isn't a testament to the popularity of the 100 mile diet - there are 17 copies of the book available in the local library system and 89 - yes 89 - hold requests for the book. Craziness. So many many people are becoming educated about the importance, the sustainability, of eating local, in-season, (preferably organic) foods. So nourishing for both the earth and body. And I guess it was really interesting that so many of the other books mentioned within theirs, I'd read already. I don't consider myself a voracious reader, but any stretch of the imagination, but I guess local food security is a pretty strong interest of mine it seems.
Blessings to you on this most beautiful of days
~n~
No comments:
Post a Comment