03 July 2008

Toot Toot Tooting my own horn

hey, that's what blogs are for, right? Tooting one's own horn? :p

I was reading the Compost Education Centre's quarterly newsletter when I came across this "Volunteer Spotlight" section and was surprised to find my name in there! Check it out... AND, not only did I get a certificate that says I am now a "Master Composter", I also received $85 of my $100 deposit back from the course I took in March! Fantastico!


Volunteer Spotlight!

We have been delighted by all of our awesome volunteers this season! New volunteers, Tim T and Nicole G completed their CEP practicum in record time!

Tim has contributed to the site, and his building of worm stands has enabled countless school groups to start composting in their classrooms. Tim has lent his height and computer skills to the functioning of the centre also. Thanks Tim!

Nicole has been a stellar addition to our team. She has helped composting around town by attending the Spring Home Show, phoning members for the AGM, leading the Beaveree and assisting in the office. Nicole’s independence and competence are priceless. Thanks Nicole!

4 comments:

holymotherofgod said...

YAY CONGRATS!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Sweet, congrats! Gotta say, we've had no bear invasions since I started using your trick, but I still can get my compost steaming.

Anonymous said...

Oops, I meant CAN'T get it steaming. What's your secret?

~n~ said...

If you can't get your compost steaming, probably the balance of nitrogen to carbon items that you're adding is off. If you only add kitchen scraps to your compost (nitrogen) then you need to add something carbon - like shredded newspapers. You could add the odd bag of manure from a vegetarian animal (cow, chicken, horse) - again, this is a nitrogen source, but it is very good for composts. It will help your compost generate heat as it decomposes. Only add to your compost once a week or twice, to allow the bacteria time to generate heat. There's more but this could end up being a long comment. HTH, ~n~